This is an urgent problem as we need the server setup hopefully by 5 today so quickness of response is appreciated.
We are currently having issues in accessing a server over the network using Lookout 4.0.
Our primary server had issues and so we moved it to another computer. We had everything installed although we had issues with the naming of the new primary server since windows kept trying to access the old server. Note we are using windows 2000 server.
The software using Labview 6.1 cannot from the client software access the Tag variables (now called shared variables). It can however access our redundant server no problem (note this server has not been tampered). The database we are accessing is citadel.
When we go into our software it shows that it is unable to access the variables over the network due to path fault.
When we go into the Lookout server manager we can see the computer has the proper server name however on the network it shows up as a different name. We believe this may be the problem but cannot find how to force the name on lookout to change.
Additional information: When we look using windows on the network we everything has the proper name both on the computer itself and on the network. We are able to access the files across the network from other computers no problem and going through windows all paths are correct. There is no firewall (the network is closed from the internet).
The only changes that were made when loading the network is we tried to minimize the drivers we installed due to the fact that we believe that our old server was having problems with incompatibilities with the windows 2000 (since it is so old).