Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 6.0.2 to 6.5 or 6.7

I have a process running on Windows XP using version 6.0.2. It uses various methods of communication including dial up, serial radios, and ethernet (internet) for data transfer. This data is logged in the citadel 5 database which we currently access using hypertrends within Lookout, the MAX interface, and queries using Microsoft Excel.

I am looking to upgrade the version as the computer is running XP and I need to at get to at least Windows 7. As well, I am going to need to set up a web server to allow for remote viewing of screens.

While investigating, I came across a posting regarding this very upgrade. The user had told me that it failed completly and I would have to rebuild the entire process file. I had initially thought that this would be it for Lookout and time to move on to another platform. I am running a copy of 6.5 on my laptop which is a Windows 7 professional 64 bit version machine. I use this for troubleshooting and testing.

I have several HMI panels using Window XP and Lookout 6.0 for local use. I copied the process file from one of these machines on to my laptop and opened the process file with Lookout 6.5 and expected some sort of fatal error. It opened, and as this particular process is able to connect to the stations PLC using ethernet, I was able to have full access to the data stream.

Has anyone gone through this type of upgrade as I have outlined? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to stay with the Lookout program as I find it( after a huge learning curve- Thanks Bob) easier to make changes to and modify. The thought of going to something else gives me the willies.

About the only hardware issue I can think of in regards to upgrading from XP to WIndows 7, is the "octopus" serial cable. It is a special card that allows for 8 seperate DB9 serial ports. If it isn't supported in a Windows 7 machine, I can always go to a USB hub and multiple USB to serial converters.

I am confused as to why the the user I talked to had told me the process would have to be rebuilt. Any other upgrade stories out there with these versions? I know there are issues with old pre-6.0 versions, but I am interested in 6.0. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,053 Views)

I have had no major issues (from Lookout 5.1, 6.0.2, 6.1 and 6.2) going to 6.7.1

It sounds like you have the idea, test it on another machine running Windows 7/8.

Check with the hardware manufacturer for driver updates.  We have many PCI, PCIe, USB and Ethernet serial devices running in places.

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,020 Views)