Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUN Object will not start Windows On-Screen Keyboard

Solved!
Go to solution

I am running Lookout 6.5 on Windows 7 Professional. I am using a pushbutton to fire a Sequencer whose A output starts a RUN object with a command line of "c:\Windows\system32\osk.exe". The RUN object executes, but I get a window that says "Could not start On-Screen Keyboard". The window only has "OK" as an option - click on OK and the window disappears. I have tried the same RUN object with notepad.exe and wordpad.exe, and these work fine.

Anyone see what I'm missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(14,997 Views)

I'm able to use the Run object to launch the osk on windows 7.

What if you run the command in window's Run? 

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(14,978 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Traders

Thanks for your reponse, Ryan.

I have now found a solution - but first a few puzzlers. I can successfully use the Lookout RUN object to start other executables in the Windows\system32 folder - but not the osk. I can start the osk by other means (shorcut, double-click on the .exe, starting from a bat file).

I copied the osk.exe to another folder on the hard drive and can now start it with the Lookout RUN object. I'm not sure why this works differently - but it does. Thanks.

Message 3 of 13
(14,966 Views)
Maybe it's the security issue. The windows user that launches Lookout doesn't have enough privilege to execute the exe in system32 folder.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(14,956 Views)

Hi,

I have very similar problem but proposed solution is not working for me!

I tried to copy osk.exe in different folders but just doesn't work, I am all the time getting an error:

"Could not start On-Screen Keyboard"

I can launch osk without any problems from windows explorer and from command prompt!

I am using Labview 2009 SP1 and Windows 7 Professional!

Any new ideas how to solve the problem?!

Regards

Franjo Tonković

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(14,558 Views)

Hi franjo,

same problem here.

Did you find a solution ?

Regards,

Wim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(14,369 Views)

Hi,

I managed to solve the issue. Since changing the folder didnt help, I additionaly tried with renaming "osk.exe" and it did help!

Regards

Franjo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(14,366 Views)

Franjo

My guess is that this worked because, somehow, the Copy operation modified the permissions.  It might be good to verify that because otherwise it might not work correctly in a deployed, built app.

val

Hi,

I managed to solve the issue. Since changing the folder didnt help, I additionaly tried with renaming "osk.exe" and it did help!

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(14,181 Views)
I'm having the same problem. I will try to do the solutions you guys recommend. we'll see what happens. Will keep you posted on the result. Thanks in advance!
Linda K. Newlin
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(14,150 Views)

Hi All,

The likely reason why it's not working is that you're probably using 32-bit LabVIEW, but running on a 64-bit OS. Windows is not allowing you to call the osk.exe that it comes with since it's 64-bit. When you copied the osk.exe from Windows XP you copied the 32-bit version, and that's why it worked. If you were running LabVIEW 64-bit you wouldn't have an issue.

plz provide comments if this was the issue

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(13,792 Views)