From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus No Updates (Ethernet and Serial)

I know we are asking a lot to expect replies from NI on here, but will post my findings.  I previously sent this information (different date) to NI email and had no response.

SPECS

Lookout 6.7.1

Windows 7 Pro (x64) ALL UPDATES as of 10/23/15. (SQL Server as well)

Xeon 4-core, 8GB RAM

GE MDS 4710A (9600)

ISSUE

We have an issue that causes the Modbus objects to stop requesting data.  The polls will be ignored for a random amount of time, but vary from 10-130 minutes.  In this time, no data is updated or passed through the modbus object.  This seems to only effect MODBUS RTU on serial, the Ethernet sites work in this time.  It appears to be related to communications fails, but stops ALL serial sites simultaneously.

I have attached a ZIP file with events and traces for viewing.  The event starts at 6:47PM and ends around 8:56PM.  In this time all sites do not change status (Update remains active and no comm fails).  Poll rates vary from 1-5 minutes.  All sites are set for "Skip 0 after fail".  1000ms Timeout, 2-5 retries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,365 Views)

Mike;

I just encountered the same or similar  behavior last week. I actualy had to delete and recreate the driver object to get it working again. I won't be able to get back to this until next week. I thought my problem might have been related to my RS232/RS485 converter or a questionable modbus implementation on the device I was connecting to. I then connected a Cmore EA9 to the device and it seemed to work just fine.

How long ago did you send in the support request? I had a similar issue a few months back. Prior to that we always got a quick response from Ryan.

Jim Besselman

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,241 Views)

I got a response from a Yichao Jia from NI.  Sent my process files for the communications. So we will see how it goes.

I myself have had random dirver objects loose their minds.  We use a simple chronological, numbered driver setup (modbus1, modbus2, etc.) within the folders.  Have one system that cant use Modbus3, but process works fine on another machine.

Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,229 Views)