cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailer Object - Specify Port

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi To all  and Ryan in particular.

Having problems with mailer object.  Up until about 1 week ago the mailer worked fine through a third party SMTP relay service (local ISP requires authentication - using smtp.com solves the problem).  However, it appears that the local ISP has now blocked port 25 and emails cannot get through. 

I can send emails from Outlook Express through the relay service just fine using port 2525. 

I'm assuming that the Mailer uses port 25 as its default port.

Is there a way to specify or change the port that the Mailer object uses to send its emails out?

This is critical as this is the only alarm notification method for the facility during 16 unattended hours per day.

Please reply  alanh@swc-llc.com

Alan H.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35
(10,187 Views)

Is there a router or firewall inline? 

You can use port forwarding to redirect port 25 to 2525.  Most routers have this ability.

Mike

Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 35
(10,183 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion Mike - I hadn't thought of that.  I've been trying to do the forwarding in the router (Linksys BEFVP41) without success.

The configuration screen wants to know the application or service that is to trigger the forwarding.  I've tried "lookout" plus several other services that I found running related to lookout but none of them triggered the forwarding. 

Does anyone know the exact name of the mailer service in lookout that actually performs the task???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 35
(10,170 Views)

You would need to modify the SMTP service.  Or create a new service or application.

Dont have a linksys.

Mike

Mike Crabtree - Lead Developer
Destek of Nevada, Inc. / Digital Telemetry Systems, Inc.
(866) 964-6948 / (760) 247-9512
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35
(10,159 Views)

After spending most of the day researching this and wasting about 2 hours and $30.00 on the Linksys "Tech Support " line with a barely English speaking tech that obviously does not know this stuff, it turns out the all the references to Port Forwarding, Port Triggering etc in routers and switches only apply to INBOUND traffic not OUTBOUND traffic.

Therefore I'm back to my original question/problem - how do I specify or change the outgoing port for the Mailer object from 25 to 2525????

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE???

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35
(10,154 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scadapro

Alan,

I will give you a new mailer.cbx file. You can use the ini file to set the port. Let me know if it works or not.

By the way, what's your lookout version? If you use 5.x, I will build another one.

Note that it is not an official released component.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
Message 6 of 35
(10,145 Views)

This is a follow up for future info for anyone else who has a similar problem.

NI (Ryan Shi) has a modified mailer file available that includes an .ini file that permits you to set the outgoing port for the mailer object.  Ryan sent it to me and after installing it and setting the port correctly, everything worked fine.

I would assume that this will continue to be a problem as ISPs try to provide a more secure environment for their clients.  This system is on Verizon DSL in western Pennsylvania.  Verizon is implementing a port 25 block throughout its entire system starting with all FIOS and working through to all DSL connections.  In a note from Verizon, it appears that connections with a fixed IP from them should not be effected by this change.

Hope this helps save someone else the time it took me to figure this all out...  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35
(10,141 Views)

Hi, 

Can you please send the file to me too.

I am using lookout 5.1.

johan@avantieng.no

Regards Johan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35
(10,107 Views)

Done.

We consider adding this feature to mailer object officially.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 35
(10,102 Views)

Having a similar problem but the mailer works sometimes and sometimes not. In any case, I would like to try the new mailer object and see if that helps.

I am using Lookout 6.2.

bkinard@kinardcontrolsystems.com

Thanks

Brian T. Kinard
President - SCADA and Security Division
2110 Nance Street
Newberry, SC 29108
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35
(10,014 Views)