From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout.exe hang

I'm having an issue where Lookout.exe stops responding.

This is a new install with windows 7 64bit, with a StarTech 2 Port Low Profile Native RS232 PCIE Serial card. Drivers are up to date. This is an upgrade from a previous version of lookout. We used the same process from the previous version and seems to work without any issues.

I suspect its something lookout depends on because closing lookout and reopening it immediately makes it hang again and a restart of the system is needed to make it run again.

The windows event viewer doesn't show anything too unusual. Lookout.exe stops responding and software protection service looks like its starting and stopping
repeatedly.

The citadel process has repeat errors in the event log saying:

The Database Mirroring Protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured

I put the windows error reports in the attachment.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,159 Views)

What drivers and/or ActiveX controls does it use?

If you create a new process (no startup process), does it hang also?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,145 Views)

It is using a modbus driver for a zetron rtu. It doesn't look like activex is being used in this process. I'll have to test this out tomorrow and see if a new process is the problem. It takes about a day for it to hang.
I got a question. Does lookout need silverlight?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,143 Views)

Last I checked, no silverlight.

I have had a rare, random lookout crash from the modbus driver and it appears to be related to symblic links.

If the sites commfails and is ethernet/Modbus TCP, when the site comes back it can crash.  

Doesnt happen often, but have seen it multiple times on different systems (lookout 5.1, Lookout 6.1, 6.2)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,141 Views)

I did notice it locked up once when I unplugged the serial cord and plugged it in. I'm not at the site to verify this but I know it did happen once. What was your symbolic going to?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,139 Views)

I had someone unplug the serial cord. It does make lokout hang.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,135 Views)

That is a little different, typically I do not get hangs from disconnecting the serial cables.  Only seems to be with MODBUS TCP or if I use an Ethernet to serial adapter with Virtual COM Ports for old Modbus RTU.

My symbolics were of the static and dymanic type pulling all types of datamembers.  Some would conenct to a single point, others to the object itself.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,131 Views)

What did you do to resolve your problems? My ideas didn't work. Everything looks normal to me. The only thing I havent tried is a different serial card.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,128 Views)

I have a machine on Windows 7 (x64), Lookout 6.7 with a Startech PEX4S952 that does not appear to lockup during a comm failure.

Also have a machine with Lookout 6.2, Windows 7 using a StarTech PEX2S952 (Stable)

Dev machine is Lookout 6.2, Windows 7 using Startech ICUSB2322F (USB) and Lantronix UDS2100-2 (Ethernet to serial) (Stable)

As for hangs, they are typically a one time event and work until next reboot of machine.  Most common is with the Ethernet based devices, sometimes crashes lookout, others just hangs for a minute or two.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,117 Views)

Ok. I guess it was the serial card. Putting in a different one made lookout work correctly. I was under the impression that a serial card would lock up the whole system because its tied close to hardware when the computer talks to it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,100 Views)