From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 6 source file on lookout 4.5

Solved!
Go to solution

I use lookout integrator 6.0 for writing my lookout programs, I have a couple of customers that have Lookout 4.5,  I usually make changes to their process files on site, but one of my customer's had a lot of changes to be made, so I made a copy of it and brought it to the shop where I compiled it's source file into my Lookout 6 integrator software.  I then saved the files, took them back to the site and tried to recompile it, but it comes back with a couple of errors and failed compilation.  Is there anything I can do to get their program to accept the version 6 compilation?   I would hate to have to redo all my work on site using 4.5.  It is unlikely that I can talk my customer into upgrading at this time of year.

Thanks,

Werner

Werner Knight
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,008 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wernerk

Lookout doesn't support this kind of usage. You cannot compile the lookout 6.0 source file in Lookout 4.5.

Instead of redoing everything, you can try to manually edit the source file(.lks).

First, make a copy of the source file.

Open it by text editor, such as notepad. The first serval lines of codes are different. You need to copy the headers from the 4.5 source file to the 6.0 source file.

If it doesn't work after you change the header of the source file, follow the error in compiling to go to the exact the problem codes. The error should tell you the line number. It's usually because of the mismatch number of parameters of an object.

I cannot give you instructions to fix it step by step, because there are indeed a lot of changes.

Don't forget to backup the source before you edit it.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,002 Views)

Thanks Ryan,

I found that there are two lines in the header of the version 6 source file that are not in the 4.5 version.  I removed these two lines and version 4.5 was able to compile it with no problems.  The two lines are as follows:

#dbasename "<default>"

#dbaselifespan "365.000000"

You are correct.  This is part of the header info.

Thanks,

Werner

Werner Knight
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,999 Views)

I di d the same thing except i went from Lookout 6.0 and edited it on 6.5. I attemted to put it back on the customers 6.o version and get a compiliation error. Am i in the same baot or is there another option. Please help Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,450 Views)

Going backwards isn’t easy but it can be done. One of the most common compilation errors, besides the header issues, comes from the panel object. The panel object in later versions of Lookout have more parameters than the older versions. If you delete the last three parameters that the earlier version doesn’t know what to do with should fix this particular error (example below).

ver 5.1:

Panel1= new Panel ("Title", 0, 1024, 768, 16, 35, 0xC0C0C0, 0, 0, "0",

ver 6.7.1

Panel1= new Panel ("Title", 0, 1024, 768, 16, 35, 0xC0C0C0, 0, 0, "0", "Description", yes, no,

The only other problem I have encountered is with the ‘trigger’ data member for the expression objects, which isn’t available in earlier versions of Lookout.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,445 Views)
Thank You
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,432 Views)