Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 5: Error 1921 Service LkTimeSync during installation

Working under W2000 workstation with virus scanner Ontrack: I have disabled all items (but not uninstalled it). I get "Service LkTimeSync could not be stopped. Verify privileges..." while in administrator mode. Everything else loads correctly.
Any idea of what the problem is?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,683 Views)
I need some more information. So, you were installing Lookout 5.0 and you received this error?

What previous versions of Lookout do you have installed?

Can you stop the services manually?

Have you tried to uninstall the previous version and then install the new version?

What steps do you take to obtain this error?

Unfortunately, this is not a common error. As long as you are logged in as administrator, you should shouldn't have any problem with stopping the services.

Please write back and give me as much detail as possible. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,682 Views)
Hello Steven,
I now have 2 problems: one with my development machine (portable Acer) and one with the target (floor shop: W2000, standard PC).

1) Acer under W2000: I renamed the Lookout 3.8 dir "OLD Lookout" and tried to install Lookout 5 (with Ontrack disabled) then got that 1921 error. I have a number of startup programs among which: Acrobat, HotkeyApp (to grab windows), Notebook manager, Net-It Launcher (Nat Inst), LoadQM, QuickTime Task, Fix-It Av (Ontrack). I don't have too many services but Interbase Guardian and ZipToA (? Zip drive) are also running. I will try to stop most of the services and install again.

2) Shop PC: I also renamed Lookout 3.8 as OLD Lookout and installed Lookout 5. It did install correctly even with the Norton antivirus enabled. But th
e Lookout 3.8 would no longer execute.

So, I uninstalled Lookout 5 (but a number of files and registers are not removed by the MS uninstall... as always) and tried to re-install 3.8: nothing would work. I removed Norton, tried install 3.8 again but failed again to execute. I mean "nothing happens when double-clicking on the icon). The following message shows at the end of install: "Element 'program' to which this shortcut refers has been modified or has been replaced and it no longer functions correctly"... In fact, the Lookout icon dosn't show up on the module.

I would like to have the shop machine re-execute 3.8 until I'm done with the newer 5 version: fortunately I have a few days to settle the problem.

Thank you for your help
Gabriel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,682 Views)
Gabriel,

Renaming the Lookout directory was perhaps not the best solution. When installing a program, certain entries are made in the registry (including paths to programs, dlls, etc...). Thus, renaming a directory will probably make the program nonfunctional.

Lookout 5.0 installs to a completely new directory (Lookout 5). Thus, you should not have a conflict between Lookout 5.0 and previous Lookout versions.

Your best bet is to uninstall lookout 5, rename the old 3.8 directory to the previous name, uninstall all old lookout versions and then reinstall.

Most of these steps you should be able to do under Add/Remove Programs. However, it may be necessary to manually delete the files, delete the registry keys and run msiexec. First, however, try to
uninstall through Add/Remove programs.

Overall, it sounds like some corruption has occurred. It would be best to try to get as clean a computer as possible and try to reinstall. Let me know how it goes.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,682 Views)
Hi Steven,

I tried the following:
1) Unload Antivirus Ontrack and completely reload W2000 (I actually have W2000 with SP2): still got "Error 1921"

2) I tried to kill all the processes that were running (allowed by the task manager) and got the same "LkTimeSync" error message

3) I also tried installing under "Fail safe mode of W2000)... and got to the same failure.

Looking at system journals, I have 2 errors that repeat themselves:
a) Error "Service Control Manager 2506, 7009 and 7000"
b) Error "DCOM 10010"

I cannot use the Windows "Uninstall" to remove what's left after failed installation because nothing is registered under Lookout 5.

This is the first time I have so much trouble installing a software on this portable... So, I have
installed Lookout 5 onto another "regular PC" in my office: it goes without any problem.

As the message refers to "privileges", is it possible that it is somehow related to the Notebook Manager or some function at the BIOS level? I do have Administrator privileges on this machine but it dosn't seem sufficient ...

Then what's next possible to do?

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,682 Views)
Gabriel,

There isn't a known issue with Lookout and notebooks. This may be specific to the bios or computer with which you are working.

Let's bring this into email support to allow easier communication. Go to www.ni.com and generate an email support request. Please reference this devZone conversation.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,682 Views)