Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookout 4.5.1 upgrade to 6.7.1

I have a customer who is running his SCADA system with Lookout 4.5.1 on a Windows XP standalone computer.  Since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft,  I'm recommending they upgrade to Windows 2008. 

In talking to customer service, they recommend an upgrade to Lookout version 6.7.1 with 64-bit support.  The question is, will the current 32-bit HMI Lookout program run without any problems on the 64-bit system.  Or should we remain at the 32-bit level in our upgrade.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,544 Views)

Depending on some things (communications drivers, activex, etc) it should work.  Lookout is still a 32-bit program.

Questions I have, why Windows 2008?  Lookout works on Windows 8.1 and Server 2012. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,445 Views)

Well, that is a long time ago...  There will be issues but all are workable.  I did not have any driver issues but the database is different (you can upgrade the old one if needed) and INI file and other objects settings have changed along with minor syntax changes in the lks files.   The best part is that you can test convert the old .lks files to new .l4p files with the new CBL.exe and failures will be itemized with the old .lks line numbers.  Use a decent editor (with line numbers) and you can search down the syntax or object errors fairly simply and quickly.  Ryan or others here can help sort those errors if needed.   I would go with Win 8.1 pro or enterprise or Server 2012 R2.  I always use Server OS for clients so that I can remote control (shadow) or remotely administer the machine without affecting the console login session.  Using server also allows secure, unknown password auto login such that interuption of display client is minimized and display client login can have non-administrative permissions to help keep the machine running at an even higher percentage.

It's always best to separate server and client processes if you have multiple machine resources.  The server processes can run on VMs also.

As Mike mentioned, Lookout is still completely 32-bit and (IMHO) will likely never be upgraded to 64-bit with the ever dwindling support and upgrade/patch history of Lookout..  I hope I am wrong!!!

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,436 Views)