From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LookOut 4.5 driver object for Allen-Bradley SLC500/05 using Ethernet

Is there a driver object for the AB SLC500 /05? This is a SLC500 with Ethernet communications. My current ABSLC500 driver object only allows serial communications on SLC500s up to /04.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,838 Views)

Ok, I don't promise this will work, but it's worth a try:

Try communicating with your SLC5/05 PLC using the SLC5/04 driver object. I am hoping the protocol hasn't changed since it's the same PLC series.

Rgds,

Khalid 🙂

Message 2 of 6
(3,838 Views)
Thanks, It seems to work fine. Now what about allen bradley's ControlLogix 5550 series PLC stuff? It seems that I have a need to work with un-supported stuff.
Thanks again
Dan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,838 Views)

ControlLogix is a different beast; the protocol _may_ be similar to MicroLogix (which Lookout supports), but the IO mapping is completely different. If I am not mistaken, it's more like a FieldBus device than a typical PLC.

You may have to go the OPC(RSLinx) route for this.

Rgds,

Khalid 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,838 Views)
Dan,
Thank you for contacting National Instruments Engineering Support.
Ethernet has been used with the SLC 5/05 by some NI customers, but it has not been officially tested by NI. Another option is to use RSLinx OEM to establish the connection. Then use the OPCclient in Lookout to connect to this established OPC Server.

Thanks,
Bryce
Message 3 of 6
(3,838 Views)
Thanks Bryce, The direct way works fine. I now have a task of working with a ControlLogix 5550 system with a ethernet module. Looks like I might have to try the OPC method on this one. Unless you have any thoughts on the subject.
Once Again Thanks,
Dan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,838 Views)