Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to STOP Polling?

I have created a system with 14 sites. Each having its own Modbus address. All the sites are not ACTIVE. They will be installed at a later date. As the customer installs RTU's all they need to do is flip a switch to enable it. Right now there is only one active site.

I would like to know if there is anyway to shut off the Modbus driver so that it will not produce a COMM Fail alarm. I have connected a Switch to the Poll Rate Member. This stops the polling but an alarm is still generated. This is more of an annoying problem then a functionality problem.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,289 Views)
Try putting the alarm priority to zero.

Regards,
Tommy Scharmann
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,289 Views)
You have to delete whatever is connected to the modbus Poll Rate datamember (just leave it blank). Connect FALSE (or a Pushbutton) to Poll datamember.

This will avoid the modbus object to poll, or it will just poll when you push the Pushbutton.

However, when you create a new connection to any modbus datamember (e.g. creating an expression to 40001) it will immediately verify the connection and raise the error 'no communication response from modbus secondary'.
To disable this Immediate Poll, the lookout developers implemented once a hidden modbus.ini setting:

[all]
SkipImmediatePoll=1

[mymodbusobject1]
SkipImmediatePoll=0

This setting in your modbus.ini will disable to make the connection verified. (However, not for your mymodbusobject1)

Hope thi
s helps
Roland
Message 3 of 7
(3,289 Views)
I'm not following. Which alarm priority and can this change be returned to normal on the fly when the site is enabled?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,289 Views)
Roli...

That's what I was looking for... THANK YOU!!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,289 Views)
That is exactly what is happening, but I may have spoke to soon. I'm unable to locate the modbus.ini file.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,289 Views)
Ollie,

check that out: this will definitely help.
http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/fca7838c4500dc10862567a100753500/2e64d5cf87ca6a1086256bb30070dc1a?OpenDocument

Or search in the Knowlagebase for 'modbus' 'ini' 'lookout'

Hope this helps
Roland
PS: Just create a modbus.ini (as ASCII file) in the lookout folder and add the mentioned line.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,289 Views)