Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im running Lookout 6.2 and having trouble communicating with some GE Versamax Micro PLC's. Any driver issus I might need to know about?

I am running Lookout 6.2. I am having issues communicating with GE Versamax Micro PLC's. Is there a limit to how many Drivers you can have per Server? I use both 90-30 and versamax drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,439 Views)

What driver are you using?

Physical connection or wireless?

We have systems with 90-70 running fine, 1-5 units. And ModBus drivers with up to 60 devices.

Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,433 Views)

Lookout doesn't have a limit to the number of drivers.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,428 Views)

I am using the provided GEVersaMax driver to communicate with our GE micro PLC's. We are using a wireless network. We are using Ethernet radios throughout our district. We have 40 Micros out in the field. Out of the 40, 13 of them are haveing comm trouble.  It displays the correct state the bit is in, but it has an X over it and have no control. I can log on to the plc and change a bit and lookout will change a few minutes later. On the same network we also have 40 GE 90-30's with 364 cpu. All the 90-30's are working fine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,419 Views)

A red X indicates a "bad quality" state.  

What are the statistics (Comm Fails, Garbles, etc.) of the remote sites exhibiting the issue?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,417 Views)

Ryan,

Is there a limit to how many IO points Lookout can handle on one server? We currently have an unlimited IO license and our system is pretty big.  Also is there any restrictions on what registers you can use?  The reason I ask is because I was experimenting with one of the troubled process's and I deleted a pot that was tagged to %R61.  Shortly after I did that the process began to communicate.  As soon as I added the register back, this time as an expression, and lost comms again. I this just a coincidence or is there something to it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,416 Views)

Mike,

I can go online with the plc using proficy machine edition  just fine remotely.  The plc doesn't seem to show any signs of comm trouble. The funny part is that they were all programmed and developed the same.  I dont know if the new batch of PLC's came with a different protocol. Im in the process of looking into the protocol for the new micro's.  We had a similar issue with a 374 cpu we tryed using. It came with a different protocol than the 364 and lookout did not like it.  So we switched that one cpu back to a 364.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,414 Views)

There is no limit. Your issue is probably because the driver gets error on reading or writing the register R61. Once the driver gets error, it goes into comm fail status.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,399 Views)

Ryan,

Is there a way to retrieve the error code? So i can trouble shoot and try to fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,392 Views)

Do you see any alarm in Lookout Alarm Window? Usually the error code is printed with the alarm.

Another way is to log the GE communications. Select Option->GE VersaMax Ethernet Options, enable it and input a file path like c:\log.txt. The communication will be logged. But it's the raw data.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,382 Views)