From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CitadelControl not working

I am using Lookout 4.5.1 b18 with latest fixes applied. The CitadelControl object is not able to copy database from my primary server to standby server, where both are windows NT4 systems. The Object settings are as below:
Object Name:CitadelControl1
Archive trace matching this pattern:"\\kalki\ABT_Server\Expressions\*"
To:0
From the database in this folder:"E:\Ems\database"
To the database in this folder:"\\Kalki_node_19\EMS\database"
When this value transitions to true:Pb1
I found it copying to another system in my network.Inspite of being all the network configurations identical for the destination systems, it was copying to only one machine. What could be the reason ?

Thanks,

N.Manikantan
Kalki Communication
Technologies
Bangalore
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,235 Views)
The Citadel Control was created with Lookout 4.0 when Logos/Citadel did not have this capability. Since than the object was not updated and does not allow to backup data over the network.
I've tried the To: with something like \\remotecomputer\c:\Lookout5\database but this did not work either and I had the citadel service running on the remote computer as well (that's obviously required).
Unfortunately the documentation says that it would be possible but it does not say how... because it is not (yet?). National Instruments is aware of this limitation and hopefully they can address it in future versions. There are several workarounds:
a. Backup to a local folder and copy the database to any remote computer
b. Use the Histrical Data Viewer in NI's Measurement and A
utomation Explorer (MAX) to archive data to a remote computer. This is available with Lookout 5.
c. If you have LabVIEW 6.1 with DSC 6.1 Module, you could create an executable with the Archive VIs that does the job and you could call this executable with the run object from Lookout.
d. You log to a remote folder by redirecting my process database to that remote one in File >> Modify Process.

Hope this helps
Roland
Message 2 of 4
(3,235 Views)
I don't know who put 4 stars for my answers. Because it is wrong (partialy - :))

Currently, Citadel 4 does not support archiving trends over the network - not in Lookout 4.x nor in LabVIEW DSC 6.x.
For this reason my mentioned points b. and c. are not possible. (at least not on my Windows 2000 machine :).

For a., there are Examples on EPD about this issue:

DSC Archive:
http://ae.natinst.com/devzone/explprog.nsf/41ee12ddba6c766a8625684700691463/e790f76f5b07317e86256b79005a458c?OpenDocument

http://ae.natinst.com/devzone/explprog.nsf/41ee12ddba6c766a8625684700691463/0c644a54773838ec86256b790072d0b2?OpenDocument

Lookout Archive:
http://ae.natinst.com/devzone/explprog.nsf/41ee12ddba6c766a8625684700691463/6a419608a0aabcad86256b6f005c5a1e?OpenDocument

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards
Roland

PS I: In LabVIEW DSC 6.1 you could write VIs that archives the Alarm and Event part of the Citadel 4 database to a remote computer.
PS II: I could not get the other approach to work on Windows 2000 and I did not try on Win9x. But let us know if someone could successfully use the other approach on Windows 2000.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,235 Views)
Hi Mani
I could successfully archive data using Lookout4.5b9
I have used an unusual method to do it.The steps involved are.
1) Create a process file with a database path (Like \Client1\C\temp\data). Close the file without saving.

Lookout will create database folder and some support files in to this folder.
2) Start the process file in which citadel control created.
3) enter the path name of the data to be archived as the folder created in the step 1. ( Like TO field--- \client1\C\temp\data )
4) Press the push button to archive data.
I have tried this in Windows98
Please try this method in NT and letme know about the results.
Sukesh Kumar DS
Captronic Systems
Bangalore, India
e-mail capsys@vsnl.com
www.captronicsystems.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,235 Views)