Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the way Lookout communicates with a PLC?

I have just inherited a headache.  Last week I was promoted to our local gov'ts SCADA guy.  I was getting trained by the last SCADA guy when bad things happened, so I know a very little about this.  Here's my problem-

We have over 150 pump stations- some on dial up, some on radio and the radio is hardwired into our switchboard.  We've installed a new station (luckily the last guy finished writing the programming before we lost him- at least I think he did) and I can't get Lookout to communicate with the PLC over the radio.  Prior to installing the PLC in the station, it was at our testing station (which is hardwired into our switchboard) and working fine.  If I turn on the testing station (without a PLC), Lookout will still respond to those inputs.  Do I have to tell Lookout to find the PLC in a different Comm Port? 

I am hoping that is the cause of our radio station not getting a link.

We are running Lookout 6.7.1.  We have Schneider Modicon M340 PLC's and are using GE MDS iNet II radios.  The radio is communicating with the PLC just fine.  I have spent the past week troubleshooting the radio and have it set up exactly like the other radios we use, but the station is still not communicating with Lookout. 

Please help!  I only have 90 days to impress my boss or risk losing the job.  Thanks in advance for ANY help anyone can provide.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,459 Views)

You said a few things I need to clarify

Switchboard: Do you mean internal network?  Ethernet?

iNet:  Inets have Ethernet and Serial, what are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,457 Views)

Mike,

Thank you for such a rapid response.  I'm sorry my technobabble isn't as good as it used to be, but I've spent the past several years selling electronics to people who didn't know the difference between a Mb and a Gb. 

Switchboard- A Cisco SG102-24 Unamaged Switch Ethernet network.  Our Inet IIs are using the ethernet.

I hope this helps you to help me.  Again, many thanks for whatever assistance you may be able to provide.

~Tim.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,449 Views)

So the PLCs are Ethernet as well?

Are they on the same subnet as setup on the iNet? 

Verify ou can access other assets from the iNet to the main network to make sure the iNet is configured right.

If the system works on the physically same switch, there must be something different on the network from the wireless connections.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,386 Views)