From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect 2 computers running Lookout with identical processes to the com port on a DL450 CPU.

Can I connect 2 computers running Lookout with identical processes to the com port on a DL450 CPU. Will this allow me to control the process from either computer? If so how can I do this? I will not be using a network. I am assuming this can be done using a serial cable but I'm not sure how to do this.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,123 Views)

Depends. If you want to talk to the PLC from both the computers at the same time, it may be difficult if not impossible. However, if you will be controlling from either Lookout at a time, all you need is a "switch box" to switch the serial cable connection from one comoputer to the other.

If your goal is to control the PLC from both Lookout machines simultaneously, an easier way, and the right way in my opinion, is to use Lookout's networking. But, since you say you cannot use a network (not even a peer-to-peer?), you can try building a "Y" cable and connecting it to the PLC on one end and the two PCs on the other. Let us know if it works.

Rgds,

Khalid

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,123 Views)