Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONNECT LookoutDirect objects to RSLinx

Trying to connect LookoutDirect for Win 32, version 3.8 (build 16) to AB PLC-5. Object C5:7.ACC configured and successfully tested on RS side with OPC test client tool.

I don't have server explorer or wizard. Is there a way without these? I fear I'm missing something extremely simple.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,202 Views)
HDP

You can use the OPCClient object in Lookout to connect to the RSLinks OPC Server.

You do not need Server Explorer, as it is a diagnostic utility for troubleshooting.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,202 Views)
Yes, I am using the OPCClient object.

It's just that I'm so unfamiliar with this system I'm not even sure whether it's the connection between the display object (to put up the value from the PLC) and the OPC object that's not working or, whether it's the OPC to RSLinx connection. Is there a way to put a dummy value in the OPC object for pickup by the display object to test it? I suspect I haven't filled in a box properly somewhere.

Actually, I'm not even sure I'm using the terminology correctly.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,202 Views)
HDP

In that case Server Explorer would be helpful to you. You can use it to determine if the information is being posted up correctly by RSLinks. Here is Server Explorer:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/954feaeea92d90918625674b00658b83/34e67fa9f8ff7a0686256ae60054198c?OpenDocument
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,202 Views)
Server Explorer and OPC client test (Rockwell's version) both show the value, an incrementing counter correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,202 Views)
HDP

If the values are coming through in Server Explorer then everyting is working fine. Creating an OPCClient object is pretty straightforward in Lookout version 4.0 and above. Unfortunately, I have never used version 3.8, so I do not know if it is more difficult or not. You may want to contact Direct Automations technical support on the phone to see if you are using the object correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,202 Views)
You may want to contact Direct Automations technical support on the phone to see if you are using the object correctly

It looks that's my next step.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,202 Views)