Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions on setting up polling sequence in lookout 4.5?

I have noticed that lookout does not handle polling of radio telemetry units, if you set up each modbus object to poll at a certain time each RTU will poll at the time interval, but not in sequence right after each other, meaning if unit 1 polls and is received, unit 2 will poll when its time interal expires, not immediately after unit 1. I have set up (1)timer for all units but each modbus object will start its countdown from the time it is tagged to timer. any ideas? This becomes a problem when there is 20 plus units, time becomes a factor for timely polls and data posting. Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Use a counter that increments to a one second pulse timer. If you want to poll 20 units 10 seconds apart the counter needs to reset at 200. Then for modbus1 poll= 'counter1=0'. for modbus2 poll= 'counter 1=10'. for modbus3 poll= 'counter1=20' etc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Thanks,for your answer, but I want to poll each unit sequentially say every fifteen to thirty minutes, will your suggestion cycle every 200 seconds and start polling again?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Paul I have the same need as you do but i have/will have 130 radio equipped rtu's to poll. Let know how you implement this poll. shop@dcss.dekalb.k12.ga.us
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Paul, this is a very similar application to what I frequently use. Our approach is to have a master RTU talking to each of the slaves and then the front end PC only talks to the master. I realize this doesn't answer your question on making Lookout poll, but it is how we set our systems up.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Another approach that I have used with good success is to create a sequencer object in lookout and use the sequencer state to control the polling to an indiviual RTU. The sequencer is limited to 100 states, so in a large application it may be necessary to use multiple sequencers.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,155 Views)
Use a simple poll now sequence. Instead of the PollRATE box, use the POLL box and use something like:

Second unit: Unit1pollfinish
Third unit: Unit2pollfinish
Etc.

Where Unit_pollfinish is a oneshot using the Update memberof the previous comm.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,155 Views)