Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Succesfull installation of NI-VISA to my Ubuntu 14.04

I have installed NI-VISA to my Ubuntu 14.04, however when i open it it doesnt seem to recognice my equipments that are connected through gpib [this connection is recognized in terminal when i run "lsusb" command]. I might be missing some packages but at this point i have no idea what i'm missing. Any help would be appritiated. Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(15,321 Views)

Hi,

If your Linux kernel is newer than 2.6.24, then GPIB USB support is not supported.

Check out these other threads for more details:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/19705

https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/27374

If this is the case with your system, other GPIB devices should still be supported (although we do not officially support Ubuntu)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,688 Views)

Hi:

A consideration should be made to support both Redhat/Centos and Ubuntu streams.

Redhat/Centos has a large server based following and with its very controlled release structure has become a favorite for EDA vendors.

Ubuntu/Debian seems to have a large following in the embedded space.  Most users would choose to put this release on their lab laptop/netbook device.  Debian offers a much larger library of software packages than Redhat/Centos making it a very powerful base upon which to mash up solutions from the wide software basek.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,688 Views)

Hey vatpatel,

actually I'm trying to install it on my ubuntu 14.04 but I'm getting this error

gcc    Not found in current path

*** ERROR: Some required tools are missing or were not found. ***

please can you help me ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,688 Views)

Hi Besmati:

gcc is installed by default in 14.04.  I'd need to see a full log as well as the $PATH variable of your current shell to comment further.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,688 Views)

All:

I was able to get NI-Visa to install on my Ubuntu14.04 system....partially.

I can't recall what forum I followed, but by using "alien" I was able to convert the NI-Visa RPM's to .deb files.

The NI-VISA package is 32 bits.  This does not play nicely with pyVISA, if you are running on a 64 bit machine. 

Is there any reason why NI-VISA for linux cannot be compiled for 64 bit machines?

I am considering creating a 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine, if only to test the link between pyVISA and the NI-VISA packages...... of course this won't connect me to real hardware......

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(10,688 Views)

You could try to install a 32-bit version of Python. It's a long process, but its doable in Ubuntu and you don't have to sacrifice any other software that supports Python x64.

The alternative I ended up using was to write C programs and control them with Python via popen, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,688 Views)

vatpate

could you explain in details how you have install VISA driver on ubuntu?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,688 Views)

This is strange. I installed NI-VISA in ubuntu 16.04, it worked, I caould connect to my tektronix, but could not read or write anything. But,today when I tried again, nothing worked, Idont think it loaded the modules. So tried to reinstall everything but it doesnt work anymore. Very strange. I haveno idea why it worked or why it doesnt work anymore. I installed it with

"

"sudo apt-get install alien"    to be able to install rpm:s

and then

"sudo ./INSTALL --nodeps"

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(10,688 Views)