From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Visa + NI-488.2 on Ubuntu 7.10

After the installing NI-488.2 on Ubuntu 7.10 with successful (more info see how to),  I am focusing my efforts in VISA installation.  After the installation of ni-488.2 three new modules have been included in the kernel: nikal, nipalk and gpibprtk. The version of nikal installled is 1.8 but the nipal's version is very old exactly 2.0.0. If I try run ./INSTALL of visa I find several problems of dependencies. Any way now I'm using alien and I'm creating .deb packages. I can not install every packages, I have problems with nidmi and nipxirmi, but ( and this is my question):

Which packages included in VISA are essential to work gpib-card?

How many kernel modules are essential  to work gpib-card?

Remember that the packages included in VISA are:

listOfComponentsInInstallOrder="nikal nipal nirpc niorb nidim nipxirm nicvirte lvruntime nivisa nivisadevelopment nivisaconfig nivisaserver nispy"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(9,452 Views)

Hello.

I think that I have already found that I was looking for...installing visa on ubuntu 7.10. Several packages included in Visa 4.2 haven't been installed in my computer (nidmi and nipxirmi), but I think that my PCI-GPIB card is working properly. Today I can measure a voltage channel from my agilent 34970A, and I hadn't any problem. I don't know if the packages that I haven't able to install it will produce failures in the future. In order to check my installation I going to keep the equipment measuring during this weekend. I hope that the PC doesn't explote,  because in that case I'm going to remember another U2's  song : sunday bloody sunday.

If everything works fine I promise, like a christmas present,  I'm going to make a how-to where I will comment how to install ubuntu 7.10+labview 8.2+NI-488.2+VISA 4.2 from the begining to the end.

Merry christmas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,846 Views)