From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver support in modern Linux distributions (kernels 3.x or even 4.x)

Hi,

We have some counter cards from NI (PCI-6602) that we need to control from Linux.  What is the current status of driver support in modern Linux distributions (kernels 3.x or even 4.x)?

* RHEL/CentOS 7

* Debian 8

* OpenSUSE 13.1

Would NI-DAQmx still work or would we need to go for the latest NI-DAQmx Base? I read a recent thread in the forums but I'm still confused as to which is the best way to go.

Also, would the 64bit versions work or only 32bit?

Sergi

Message 1 of 5
(7,290 Views)

Hi,

If you want to use NI DAQ with kernel 3.x, you need to install NI-DAQmx Base.

I think NI-DAQmx Base driver is 32-bit.

About current status is a question to NI guys.

Message 2 of 5
(6,569 Views)

what is the status of the linux support, sepicifically in debian?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,569 Views)

Hi,

I am having troubles in installing NIKAL on Ubuntu 14.04, following the steps in http://maztories.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ni-usb-6008-card-can-be-installed-in.html.
In particular, I get the error " 4.4 kernels are not supported! ".

I have also tried to download newer versions of the drivers and follow the same steps, but nothing changed. Do you know if there is any support for my kernels version? Thanks.

Giovanni

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,390 Views)

I am having troubles in installing NIKAL on Ubuntu 14.04, following the steps in http://maztories.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ni-usb-6008-card-can-be-installed-in.html.
In particular, I get the error " 4.4 kernels are not supported! ".

Of course not. These binary-only kernel modules are inherently unstable and insecure anyways. Never use that for any production system.

NI folks still refused to learn the basics of linux kernel development.

Hint: Linux has an industrial IO framework - that's where drivers for such devices gotta be plugged in.  

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,321 Views)