Life Science

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to quantify componts of a stained histology slide.

To whom it may concern,

My name is Heather Hayenga, and I am currently a graduate student at Texas A&M. My research is primarily mathematical modeling of plaque progression in the abdominal aorta of knock out mice. Anyways, I have stained slides with plaque for elastin (VVG stain), collagen and smooth muscle cells (Masson's Trichrome stain). I am having a hard time using Vision Assistant to quantify accurately the amount of each constituent. Attached you will find a representative slide. In help in this matter is greatly appriciated.

Thank you,
Heather Hayenga
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,195 Views)
If the false color image is an accurate representation of the set of indicators you are looking for you might try taking a histogram of the colors of each pixel in the image.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,176 Views)
Could you provide a little more detail on what part of the images from the attachment you are trying to detect?  I am not familiar with your experiment's topic.  Are you trying to detect how much the images grows from frame to frame or are you trying to measure something within the image.  Sorry about asking for more details.  Any more information you can give would be great!
Evan D.
Installer R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,158 Views)
Thanks for your responses. Here is the details I failed to mention:

Top figure:
Elastin is stained black
Bottom figure:
Collagen is stained blue
SMC is stained red

As such I am interested in finding the ratio of elastin, collagen, and SMC in the arterial wall (which will require some cropping of the connective tissue).

Once again thank you, and I look forward to your reply!
Heather Hayenga
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,155 Views)
I have been experimenting with your images in Vision Assistant.  I believe that if you adjust the color thresholds for the images to reduce and bring out the colors that you care about, then you can do a mask that will cut out everything except the cell wall of the image as well as anything within the cell wall.  From there you can do a color histogram to show the intensity of color in the multiple images.  This should tell you the ratio of colors since the histogram shows you the level of color in each image.

I hope this helps you out some!

Evan Dozier
Evan D.
Installer R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,126 Views)