Life Science

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would it be possible to record action potentials in nerves (animal experiment)?

I would like to know how it would be possible to record nerve activity of animals using LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,498 Views)
Low noise preamplifiers for EKG and EEG are readily available from a variety of sources. Any of the DAQ cards can be used to log the data, if it's well conditioned before hand. The main thing to remember is that you'll be working with miniscule signal levels, and all the rules pertinent to low-noise instrumentation apply. Additionally, any kind of medical electronics needs to be isolated from power mains for safety of man and beast. (Any commercial EKG instrumentation amplifier meets this requirement)

Eric
Eric P. Nichols
P.O. Box 56235
North Pole, AK 99705
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,495 Views)
iggy;

Yes, it is possible. More than LabVIEW, you need the right sensors and data acquisition devices.

National Instruments offers a tool called BioBench, which I am pretty sure can be used for that application.

Another is BioPac. I know that you can obtain VIs so you can interface BioPac with LabVIEW.

Regards;
Enrique
www.vartortech.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,496 Views)
For animal work you could use National Instruments isolated amplifiers in the SCXI range. Isolation can also be achieved by running a system off batteries. For example a battery powered SCXI chassis and notebook computer.
There have been articles in IEEE Biomedical Magazine on the issue of isolation for experimental work.
Of course this approach is not acceptable with humans.
If there is a chance that an animal has to be defibrillated then that is also another issue.
Something also to be considered is the DC offset potential that can occur when connecting an electrode to tissue. A high pass filter may be needed as most of the data acquisition cards are DC coupled. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,495 Views)

is there any block diagram in lanview to record action potentials EEG signals?

I have the electrodes, DAQ and amplifiers but i can not use Labview,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,267 Views)
Hi,

I'm assuming the signals that you are trying to read and display are very low voltage.  In this case it is necessary to perform amplification before routing your signals to the DAQ device you are using.  As far as interfacing your DAQ device with LabVIEW, are you using a National Instruments data acquisition card?  Our data acquisition cards use drivers that incorporate many functions into LabVIEW for use in applications such as analog input acquisitions.  The recommended drivers (depending on the DAQ device you are using) are the NI-DAQmx drivers.  You can refer to our website here for more information about NI-DAQmx and how it is used in LabVIEW.

Regards,
Andrew W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,237 Views)