LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when I open up LabWindows/CVI I noticet that my cpu utlization remains at 100%

I can run other applications and they seem to be okay but the CPU is pinged at 100%. Hard disk light is not on or anything. I am using LabWindows/CVI version 6.0 with Windows XP Service Pack 1. Any ideas as to why this might happen. The computer is a PIII 800MHz.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,795 Views)
ddc1553,

Are you having this problem when you run programs built using CVI or are you having this problem when you just open CVI without running any programs? The following is a post that may help address the issue:

CPU Usage and CVI

If that fails to address your problem please post back with more detail (What other programs are you running concurrently? Are those programs experiencing speed issues because of CVI running in the background?, etc�)

Good Luck,

Craig H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,795 Views)
The CPU Utilization is pinged at 100% with just LabWindows/CVI open with no projects running or loaded. This only happens on my PIII 800MHz computer. My laptop works fine with it. When the utilization is at 100% I can still open up other programs normally without much delay.

?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,795 Views)
ddc1553,

Here are some things you can try. Open up Task Manager and double check that LabWindows/CVI is indeed the program causing high CPU utilization. Try killing the process and restarting LabWindows/CVI. If the CPU utilization is still high try restarting your machine and opening up LabWindows/CVI as your first program.

If those steps don't help you out try running some multimedia programs or other memory/CPU intensive programs to check for performance degradation.

From my research on this issue, misreadings of the CPU utilization with CVI is more of a perceived issue. Many factors such as hard disk size and the amount of RAM available to your system can throw off CPU timing readings. Even Task Manager itself can throw the readings off w
hile it is running. Since this problem happens on one machine but not the other (assuming same OS and roughly the same configuration) you may want to uninstall LabWindows/CVI on the problem machine and try a reinstall. As a shot in the dark CPU time can be wrong with the presence of background processes, such as spyware, that are not picked up by Task Manager.

Microsoft�s website lists various patches available for download that address high CPU utilization issues for other third party software. Perhaps this is an issue with the OS and its ability to accurately read CPU utilization for LabWindows/CVI.

If your system fails to perform at an acceptable level after trying out these suggestions please post back with further detail on amount of RAM, hard drive size, whether or not this PC is on a network, etc. Maybe try defragging your hard drive and running a scan disk. Please post back if none of this helps out. Good luck!

Craig H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,796 Views)