From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visa test panel in NI MAX ver 5.4.0 read timeout

I am using the visa test panel in NI MAX ver 5.4.0 and I connect to a CVI application I currently have a server socket up and running. My server accepts the connection form the visa test panel ok, and when I write from the visa my application sees it immediately. Then I try to read and the visa will timeout, at which point the visa displays what I sent in the 'send' command. I cannot determine why the visa writes to my application ok but the send is not received until the timeout occurs in the visa tool. In my application I am doing a simple 'send' on a valid socket. I am not sure why, but if anyone has any answers I would appreciate it. Here is a snippet of my code in my main:

char sendbuf[64];

strcpy (sendbuf, "ACK\n");

/* Initialize WINSOCK before any socket calls are made */
  iResult = WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &WSAData);
  if ( iResult != 0 )
   return SOCKET_ERROR;

if ((ServerSock = SockOpenServer(SERVER_PORT_NUMBER_TCP)) == SOCKET_ERROR)
   return SOCKET_ERROR;

/* By now the socket should be successfully bound.                */
  /* Wait for clients to connect. As each client connects,          */

AcceptedSock = SockWaitForAccept(ServerSock);

/* Indicate the socket has been initialized and a client has been accepted */
  if (AcceptedSock > 0)
   isServerInitComplete = TRUE;
  else if (AcceptedSock == SOCKET_ERROR)
   runRDPServer = FALSE;

while (runRDPServer)
  {

BytesReceived = recv(AcceptedSock, ptrCh, BytesToRead, 0);

if (BytesReceived > 0)
   {
    /* for now just send back an ACK to ackknowledge the receipt of data */
    if (strncmp(ptrCh, "*IDN", 4) == 0)
     BytesSent = send(AcceptedSock, sendbuf, (int)strlen(sendbuf), 0 );

if (strncmp(ptrCh, "*ESE", 4) == 0)
     runRDPServer = FALSE;
   }

}

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,853 Views)

Hello,

Make sure that you are sending the right termination character or you might be sending characters too fast. Here is an article that explains this further:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/171D2D70CFB66E74862571390062D12B?OpenDocument

Thanks!

Stephanie S.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,816 Views)

Stephanie, I did go look at the link you provided this morning. That particular paper seem to deal with serial connections. The app I have is for TCP/IP and that's where my problem is. I did find out today, that when talking to my app using a LabView app for TCP there is no timeout in the receipt of data in the LabView TCP app, where as the Visa connection timeouts but still reads the buffer after the timeout occurs. So there is something in that Visa connection to my app, which is a server in 'C' creating the socket. We are currently going to continue with an interface with a LabView TCP connection to my app. Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,786 Views)