cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using DAQmx functions without installation

Solved!
Go to solution

Good evening everybody,

I have an instrumentation problem linked to DAQmx. I would like to communicate with an instrument using NIDAQmx tasks. I use an environment program system : visual studio 2003. At the end, I want to produce a dll. This dll, I want to put it on another computer. The question is the following. If I want to launch the dll by calling it, will I need NI-DAQ on the other computer or a software to use the dll ?

When I tried to produce an exe with a VI, I needed to have Labview RunTime to launch the exe. If I want to launch the dll, will I be able to use the dll alone on the computer, without the installation of NIDAQ. Can I use the tasks only with the dll (since I need Run Time for the .exe, do I need Run Time also). ?

I am sorry, it must be not clear. But I am available to explain you more the problem.

Best regards.

Thank you.

gautier 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,496 Views)

Hello Gautier,

If you build a VI which contains DAQmx functions, you will need of LabVIEW Run-Time and DAQmx driver in order to use your executable on a computer which doesn't have anything installed.

So if you encapsulate DAQmx functions in a DLL (from Visual Studio, LabVIEW or any software which is capable of doing it), you will also need (at least) of the DAQmx driver.

A DLL cannot be used alone. It has to be called from a program (LabVIEW (exe or IDE), textual environment (exe or IDE), etc).

Regards,

Jérémy C.
NI France

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,454 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply.

On my PC, I have Labview pro etc ... I can communicate with a Keithley by GPIB using Dll that uses NI 488.2. So if I understand, it works on my PC because there is Labview Run Time. So if I try to launch with a computer without Labview, it will not work ? Can you confirm me it please ?

Merci d'avance ^^

Best regards.

G.D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,449 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gautierdufourcq

Since you have LabVIEW installed on your computer, the Run-Time is not required for running LabVIEW executables.

But if you decide to use your LabVIEW executable on an other computer, you will need to install the LabVIEW Run-Time on it. You can also build an installer which will contain your program and addtionnal components (such as LabVIEW Run-Time and required drivers). Building an installer avoid to download and install the components separately.

For more information regarding installer, you can look into LabVIEW's help (Building an Installer (Windows)) or follow Core 2 training course.

If your program uses NI-488.2 driver, you will need to install it on your computer.

Installing LabVIEW Run-Time is only required if your program which contains DLL calls is a LabVIEW executable.

Regards,

Jérémy C.
NI France

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,443 Views)