LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rs232err "Unknown system error"

My situation is this: I open a virtual com port over an IrDA link. I then break that link by removing my remote unit from the "detection area". The resource of the virtual port disappear from the Win2000 resource list.

Anytime after that, a com write or com read command can occur. When it does so, a rs232error "Unknown system error" is returned from the rs232 library.

And now my question: Is that system error code accessible by another mean, maybe from Windows SDK?

Having a precise error code could help me a lot, since with the lost of an open virtual com port and a subsequent call to a RS232 library fonction like CloseCom can freeze my app. Naturally, I want to prevent that.

Francis Savaria
R&D Tech
Vulcain Alarme Inc
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,688 Views)
I don't think the CVI library is very good at coping with COM ports that can disappear.

Actually, my experience is that the Windows API isn't very good at coping either, but it is better - at least you can get access to all the possible error messages, if your application doesn't crash. CreateFile(), ReadFile(), WriteFile() etc. are your friends.
--
Martin
Certified CVI Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,688 Views)