From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ring-control selection don't work. can't select any other items except the first item.

Solved!
Go to solution

dear cvi-programmers,

i 've some problems with a simple ring control in a cvi panel. the ring has multiple items. no matters which item i select, the result will always be the first item. i can't select any other item than the first one (i'ts not necessarily the default-item).

when i redraw the panel, it works for the next few days. but somday in release-built (production-application) the ring control selection no longer works. when i start the uir-file in the labwindows cvi gui editor i can understand the problem. Even in the "operate" mode i can not select any other items than the first one.

when i convert the ring-item into another ring (F11-Key), and then convert it back into the original it will work again (1-2 days).

when the problem appears, the file content is still the same!

i also redraw the panel in different versions of labwindows cvi (2010/2012/2013), still the same problem.

other ring-control on different panels (several controls more), never came up whith this effect.

any guys out there whith the same problem?

the corrupt uir-file is in the appendix.

thank you !

kind regards,

lukas roeder

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lukasroeder

Hi Lukas,

if you suspect the UI file to be corrupted, you can

- save it in a different version (e.g. 2013 instead of 2010) and see if it does make any difference

- save it as a TUI text file and re-import it (Options / Save in Text Format)

Message 2 of 7
(5,133 Views)

hi wolfgang,

thanks for your answer 🙂

do you have the same effect, when you open bei uir in your cvi ?

i don't think the file is really 'corrupted', cause the content of the file is still the same. i compared the local file with the orginal (from a svn-server)  with a compare-tool.

i 've also tried to make the file in cvi 2010 / 2013.

and i 've also tried to run the exe on cvi 2010 / 2012 / 2013.

always the same problem..

but now i will try the tui-thing. but i think it will works 1 or 2 days, and then the problem appears again.

kind regards

lukas roeder

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,124 Views)

yes, I could reproduce your behavior - but not explain it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,122 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lukasroeder

Lukas,

it looks that saving the UIR file in TUI format and then loading it from disk solves the problem. Which is what Wolfgang suggested.

Also, converting between different types of controls (F11) seems to make the issue go away.

I suspect that the issue is caused by a UIR corruption. Can you reliably reproduce the scenario in which your UIR is corrupted and the bug appears. I.e. reliably providing the following:

1. Before state of the UIR, in which the control functions correctly.
  2. Steps required for causing the wrong behaviour to occur.
  3. After state (copy) of the UIR, in which the symptom can be seen.

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,108 Views)

Hi Johannes_T,

unfortunately i can not reproduce the scenario in which your UIR is corrupted and the bug appears. cause it's a production application..

so the F11-Solution is not really nice, cause i can not always go into the production room, when the problem appears.

i've made a text user interface (.tui), as wolfgang suggested, and this is the solution !!

no the ring control is generated from code, whenever the programm has startet.

i think, may it was a problem with the background-process of the ring-control..

thank you guys for your help !

kind regards

lukas roeder

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,080 Views)

I remember having strange UIR corruption issues when saving uir files to a CIFS share or a VirtualBox share (CVI inside XP guest, Linux host). It happened in CVI 2010 IIRC and has been fixed since then.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,039 Views)