LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Application stopped working" error exiting a CVI2012 program on Windows 10

Title says all: I just tried running a CVI2012SP1 application on my Win10Pro SP1 (1607) box and got the error on exit.
If I launch the debug on the error message I see this:
Screenshot 2017-05-19 11.37.33.png

Reported addres is out of my application range (map file reports addresses from 0x00400000 to 0x0059B11C).
If I run the program in CVI2012 IDE I get no error.

My machine has CVI2015SP1 installed with f1 patches applied (RTE version is 15.0.1.240), CVI2015 applications do not get any error on exit.

Is this error related to the "anniversary edition" error patched by f1 update? How does this affect CVI2012 applications, which indeed run on the 2015 full-patch RTE installed on the system?
If I run the application in the IDE I get no error on exit: may a simple recompile of the application fix the problem? Or may running the applications on Win10 with CVI2012RTE not cause this error?

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,235 Views)

Roberto, have you checked for the presence of the offending NI font files identified in the solution to this thread?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,206 Views)

Of course they are. They have to!

Besides all, I am actually using the 7-segment font in some part of my apps.

But I ended up finding that that particular application was targeted to the 2012 RTE, don't remember why. Other 2012 apps I have developed targeted to the shared RTE don't get the error, so this appears to be the explanation.

I cannot test it on a fresh machine now, but it seems that the 2012 SP1 RTE has the same misbehaviour of the non-patched 2015 RTE when run on Win10. Could some NI people confirm this?

It doesn't seem to exist a patch for the 2012 SP1 RTE: will it be released to address customers moving a CVI2012 app to Win10? Or the suggested solution is to release a new distribution bound to the 2015 RTE?

(3,145 Views)

I have seen this issue on Win 10 with apps using the RTE back to the 2010 RTE, but have not tested beyond that. (Fortunately we do not rely on those NI fonts.) Therefore I would bet that the 2012 SP1 RTE has the same misbehaviour of the non-patched 2015 RTE when run on Win10, but NI confirmation would be nice.

I look forward to seeing the NI recommendation you ask for about 2012 SP1 projects.  Some pre-2013 projects need changes to run with the newer compiler.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,110 Views)

Ian.W ha scritto:

I look forward to seeing the NI recommendation you ask for about 2012 SP1 projects.  Some pre-2013 projects need changes to run with the newer compiler.

As far as I can tell, all projects need to be modified passing to the new compiler!

That's why I asked is the recommendation is to simply update the distribution with the new RTE, leaving the executable as is.

(3,077 Views)

Hi Roberto,

Yes - there was no patch for the 2012 SP1 RTE because it is not officially supported on Windows 10. Upgrading just the runtime should be sufficient as long as your executable was built with "Shared" Run-time engine binding. If it was built for the side-by-side 2012 runtime, you will need to rebuild the executable to target either shared or 2015 SP1 f1 RTE.

-Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,981 Views)