From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options to log program crashes/errors for deployed apps

I've done a bunch of reading on the topic and am getting mixed information.  In my case, I have a released application running on four Win7 targets.  Ocassionally, I'm getting some application crashes.  I am certain there is some firmware-level problems going on with my custom IO board as well, but I need some tools to troubleshoot why the CVI app is crashing.

I've seen recommenation to try the Windows Event Viewer, Dr. Watson (for WinXP targets), etc, but these are pretty generic.

This is a good thread, but didn't go anywhere.

And then there's the article on the ConfigCVILogging tool.  This seems promising too, but it's unclear to me how I can package that EXE with my app distribution.  Also, what setup do I need in my app so that it is aware of the CVILogging EXE?

Ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,312 Views)

Hi Electrolund,

It would be helpful if you could post screenshots of any errors you are seeing when these crashes happen. Could you describe how the applications crash exaclty? Does it always happen after a certain input or action or is it pretty much random? Does it happen in the same way on all 4 test computers? I think you are a little confused about the way that ConfigCVILogging tool works. I believe the way it works is that any time the run time engine DLLs are called that application will know about it and make entries to the log. So running your executable should visible to that process.

Regards,
Basil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,283 Views)