cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labwindows 2013 not responding

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using Labwindows 2013 SP1 on Windows 7

This morning I made some code changes to my project when I clicked on the "Debug Project" Icon, the project build succeeded and then Labwindows just hangs up, saying "Not Responding". I killed the project and relaunched labwindows and tried again and it does the same thing. I backed off all changes I did today to what it was yesterday when I did not have this problem and tried again and it is still hanging with "not responding".

I went to labwindows 2013 about 4 months ago and I have never had this problem until today and now it wont go away.

I am completely at a standstill. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Thanks

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,152 Views)

Try going into Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Programs and select National Instruments Software and do a Repair

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,130 Views)

Hi, John—

Can you provide a LabWindows/CVI log for this behavior? Please follow the steps under the Environment section of this article: https://decibel.ni.com/content/people/nickb/blog/2010/08/02/generating-debug-logs-for-labwindowscvi-... .

Did you try repairing LabWindows/CVI? If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,047 Views)

Thanks for the response.

I did a repair, and same thing happens when I try and run. The project builds and then just hangs saying (Not Responding) at the top. I click the x to close the session, windows says it's not responding and then I clcik close program.

I tried to attach the CVIDebugLog.txt file that you requested but it is too large. It is over 10 meg and the limit to attach a file says 6 meg . Please let me know what I need to do next.

Thanks!

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,016 Views)
Hi, John,

Can you name the file something obvious and upload it to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming ?

Thanks!
Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,012 Views)

Thanks for the response.

I just put the debug file up on the NI FTP site;

The file name is:

John W-9_8_14_CVIDebugLog

Thanks!

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,009 Views)

Hi, John—

I received your file, and I'll be looking at it over the next couple of days. Thanks for sending that in!

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,002 Views)

Thanks for helping out.

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,990 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jwinterb

Hi, John.

The log you sent in seems to indicate you have over 750 watch expressions in your current workspace. This hang you are experiencing is likely a result of LabWindows/CVI attempting to update all of those watch expressions. 

I reproduced a considerable hang by adding only 700 watch expressions, all for a single int value in my application. 

To fix this issue, you can remove the watch expressions. If you cannot access them interactively from the LabWindows/CVI environment, you can delete them from the bottom of your CWS file. You can do this in a text editor.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Message 9 of 11
(6,979 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jwinterb

Wow, I went into the .cws file and there were over 2000 watch expressions!

I deleted them like you said and now the project builds and launches fine.

Not quite sure how I got that many watch expressions but I will be more careful in the future.

Thank you very much for your help!

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,962 Views)