LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interactive window failed to install some modules

Suddenly my interactive execution window fails to load some external modules.

Below is the list of them which I am aware of at the moment:

- analysis.lib

- toolbox.obj

- dataskt.lib

- gpib.lib

I can call some other library functions (RS-232 library for instance) without any problems.

For example; when I type Pi(); only into the window and compile, it first tells me to include "toolbox.h".

When I click OK, a popup appears saying "Error linking generated code", then I get a link error message (below) in Build Output window:

"The interactive window failed to install the module 'toolbox.obj'."

I could not find anyone in the forum complaining about the same problem.

Is this an expected behaviour?

Note-1: My problem is about the interactive execution window only.

Projects which call functions from those libraries compile without problems.

Note-2: My system is Windows XP with CVI 8.5.1 and 2013 Beta installed.

I am having the problem with 8.5.1, beta expired already but I havent uninstalled yet.

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,331 Views)

Uninstalling the CVI 2013 Beta and side-by-side runtime engine (which were installed with the beta) did not help.

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,324 Views)

To uninstall the current runtime engine and install and older version, you will need to follow this KB: How Do I Install an Older Version of the LabWindows/CVI Run-Time Engine? We are tracking this issue with bug report #422710.

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,265 Views)

Thank you Jonathan,

I don't know if this problem was there before installing 2013 Beta or not.

I will try to downgrade and let you know if it fixes or not.

I am surprised it is considered as a bug, I thought I accidentally broke some link or deleted a file, etc. 😉

Btw, I also asked this problem over product support via e-mail.

They told me this is a known issue for 8.5.1 and fixed with version 9.0.

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,245 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

I'm having the same issue with my LabWindows/CVI 2012 and I have not been able to resolve it (not even re-installing CVI 2012 help). I wonder if you could give us an update of the solution/workaround for the bug report #422710?

This bug is pretty bad since it suddenly prevents us from using CVI front panel with IVI instruments. Declaring a variable in the instrument driver's front panel causes a popup to appear saying "Error linking generated code", then an Interactive Execution link error in the Build Output window with the following message: "The interactive window failed to install the module 'visa.lib'." The problem can also be reproduced by simply executing #Include "ivi.h" in the Interactive Execution window.

I don't know what suddenly caused this problem. Could it be the latest NI software update? I downgraded the NI software and driver to the previous version but it didn't help. As I mentioned, even re-installing CVI 2012 didn't help. Any help to get us back on track is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,137 Views)

The bug ID that you are referencing was fixed in the CVI 2013 f1 patch as documented in the LabWindows/CVI 2013 Patch Details KB.

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 8
(4,129 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for a quick response -- I really appreciate it!  The problem went away after upgrading to CVI 2013 f1 patch.

Unfortunately I noticed a few instability issues after the upgrade (front panel execution took longer than in CVI 2012, losing variables declared in the interactive window whenever executing an IVI reset device function, and eventually crashing CVI 2013 a few times). It may have been caused by my previous effort to fix the problem.

I decided to go back to CVI 2012. It had been working well until CVI run-time engine 2013 was installed by my last NI Software Update. I used the Windows System Restore to roll back my PC to a date before the last NI Software Update. I'm back on track and will stay with CVI 2012 for now. Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,077 Views)

The list of patch details is certainly useful - it would also be useful if the list of known issues would be updated 😉

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,072 Views)