From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to license new activex control

I need to use the microsoft windows common controls-2 6.0 activex control (mscomct2.ocx) for the date-time picker control on my new XP Pro machine. The problem is, this control is not registered on the XP machine and I cannot use it in my CVI project. I created the
CVI project on another computer (win 98). On this computer, I had complete access to the activex control. I have tried the following on the XP machine:
I copied the .ocx file into system directory, ran regsvr32 c:\windows\system32. Didn't work, so unregistered the control with the /u command, uninstalled CVI, reinstalled everyting. Also didn't work. I believe that I need a licensed version of the .ocx file that I can only get from installing Office, VC++, etc. and th
is is unacceptable for my application. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I get a licensed version of the control without installing visual studio? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,210 Views)
Hello

These controls arnt supposed to be installed in CVI, but you can try downloading the controls from the web anywhere. I found it on it on this one site.

http://www.geocities.com/zooeyglass15/tristan/myreminders.html.

I have attached the one from my machine as well, but it looks like you would need to distribute this with your application

I hope this helps

Bilal Durrani
NI
Bilal Durrani
NI
Message 2 of 4
(6,210 Views)
Thank you for your help Bilal. I have the actual .ocx control, my problem was registering it on my machine as a licensed control without installing random microsoft products. I finally solved this problem (if you are interested, read ahead) by copying all related "mscomct2" files from my other development machine (with visual studio installed) to the system32 directory on my XP machine. These files were mscomct2.ocx, mscomct2.dep, mscomct2.oca. Additionally, for development purposes, it is not enough to simply run runsvr32 on an un-licensed control, the control must be licensed to be used. To license this control, I installed the contents of the file "mscomct2.srg" into the registry and success! Lots of headache for a calendar control.... Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,210 Views)

Can you share the mscomct2.srg file you found?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,400 Views)