LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback on control tooltips position

I am wondering about the automatic positioning of control tooltips: they neither seem to be centered to the control nor to the mouse cursor position; they also seem not to consider the size of the CVI window. Instead they (almost) always seem to start some fixed distance left to the mouse cursor position.

I am providing an example showing that this may not always result in a good tooltip position and suggesting some improvement...

tooltip-position.png

In the left of the screen shot there is a ring control, the right part of the screenshot shows the Windows desktop.

I know there is no accounting for taste but personally I would prefer the tooltip to be centered either to the respective control or to the mouse cursor position, possibly keeping the tooltip within the CVI window.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,300 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

the tooltip is a floating panel with a given position determined by the control it belongs to.

Do the tooltips appear only like shown in your screenshot or does it happen, that the tooltips are partly offscreen? If so, what CVI version do you use?

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,283 Views)

Hi Melanie,

no, I've not seen a tooltip being partly offscreen, it adjusts correctly so it is always fully onscreen.

I am using CVI2013 SP2.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,277 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

I found some more information for you concering the tooltips position and size:

The tooltips of controls have four properties that can be set: The text to display, whether the tooltip is disabled, show delay (in ms), and hide delay.

The tooltip is sized and positioned with respect to the text width, the controls width and the screen. If you want to influence the tooltips width, insert newline (\n) commands in the tooltips text. The width of the tooltip is determined by the longest line in the tooltip and with respect to the controls width.

The position depends on the screen, since the tooltip should not partly appear offscreen,  and the mouse position, since the tooltip should disappear when the mouse is over the tooltip.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,260 Views)

Dear Melanie,

Thanks for your feedback but I'm afraid that you might have misunderstand the purpose of my post: I do not have questions on using tooltips, I am happily using them but sometimes I consider the position of the tooltip 'sub-optimal' and wanted to report an example for such a behavior allowing NI to possibly adjust their algorithm for positioning the tooltip... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,258 Views)