From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between LinFit and LinEv1D?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm struggling to understand the true difference between these functions.  They both seem to output a linearized array, based on input arrays of data.

From all the sample projects and the help, I'm not getting it.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,039 Views)

The first function performs a fit, the second a scaling of the input array.

Message 2 of 3
(3,027 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ElectroLund

Generally speaking, all "Fit" functions accept X and Y arrays and calculate the interpolant stored in an additional Y array, optionally rewriting the original one.They are used to calculate an aproximation of actual data.

On the other hand, "Ev" functions accept only the X array in input and calculate the value of the Y array given some criterion: in case of linear evaluation you must pass slope and intercept, with polinomial one you must pass the whole set of coefficients given the degree of the polynomial. Functions output a new Y array calculated from scratch. Evaluation function are used to try guessing some phenomenon based on a theoric model.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community