LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cvirte.dll is missing from your computer

Our company uses LabWindows/CVI to create control panels for our products.  We have versions going back to 7.0.  Right now we are using 10.0.  All PC's use Windows 7 RTN.

We released a version of our panel in Feb. 2013, that I assume was created using LabWindows/CVI 10.0 and I have made updates to that version for a new release. 

When I try to install my new version of our panel on machines that have the older panels, the installation seems to install fine using the build package wizard.  However, when we run the application it fails with a

CP error.jpg

Additionally there doesn't seem to be an uninstall either.  The program cannot be uninstalled from "Programs and Features".  We have two workarounds. 1) Make sure we uninstall the old version of our panels before installing or 2)If you have already installed the new version and have the error, install NILWCVIRTE2010.  You cannot reinstall the panel application because the installer looks at the build and believes it is already installed.

I have kept the build package settings that were used in the last released panels for the new one.

Below are the settings for the Drivers and Components:LabWindows Drivers and Components min.jpg

But I have also tried:

LabWindows Drivers and Components min.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(17,646 Views)

Hey Sonnysummers77,

There are a few ideas that I have but it looks like for some reason when you build the installer, it uses an older version of the CVI Runtime Engine. I just want to make sure we tried the basics, such as going deleting the current build and going to Build>> Distributions>> Build {name of project} and then trying to install that. After you do that you, can check the version of the install that is used by going to the Control Panel and moving to Programs and Features, then selecting to remove/change NI software. This will bring up a menu of all the NI software on the computer. Let me know which version of the LabWindows/CVI Runtime Engine is installed to the computer. The one we need is 2010. I also found a KnowledgeBase that has some information that maybe useful: Here

Let me know how it goes.

Best,

-KP

Kurt P
Automated Test Software R&D
Message 2 of 7
(17,622 Views)

hi Kurt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this.

I am not sure what you mean be deleting the current build.  Do you mean simply uninstalling the current build on my pc using Control Panel>Programs and Features, do I delete the build file from the project directory, or do I delete the build configuration in the labwindows/CVI application by selecting Build>Distributions>Manage Distributions.

On my developement platform, I have the following:

National Inst.jpg

Is there any way to find out what NI drivers are installed on target machines?  This may be where the problem lies.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(17,608 Views)

Hi sonnysummers77,

I believe Kurt was talking about deleting the build on your development machine and then recreating the build in CVI, which would be your build configuration.

You can also verify the installed drivers on your machine by looking at the Control Panel's add remove software and modifying the install of National Instruments Software or if you have Measurement and Automation explorer you can see the list under the software tab.

Regards,

James W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 7
(17,594 Views)

Sorry for the long delay.

I have tried both of these solutions and haven't resolved the issue.  Is there anything else that I can show you that would help resolution?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(17,534 Views)

Hi Sonny,

I'm sorry you're still having this issue. I saw the screenshot of what you have installed on your development computer. Could you show us the same screenshot on the computer you are deploying your installer to? We need to see whether or not Run Time engine is installed on that one. If it is already installed then there is something deeper going on, if not then we can install it and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards,
Basil
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(17,515 Views)

Issue resolved.

Luckily we had a build protocol that I had neglected to read prior to performing a build. I had missed several steps in the build process.  The build configuration file was ok.  I needed to perform the following steps prior to building:

1. Under the Build menu select Configuration.  Verify that Released is checked.
  2. Under the Build menu select Target Type. Verify that Executable is checked.
  3. Under the Build menu select Target Settings…
    • Set Application File to Release and note the path.
    • Ensure the filename path is correct (should be the same as previous releases)
    • Ensure the Application Title is set to the same title as previous releases.
    • Ensure the Run-time support is set to “Full run-time engine”.
    • Click on Version info and ensure that all the information there is correct as well
  4. Under the Build menu select Configuration and then select Release.
  5. Under the Build menu select Create Release Executable.  If no error message appears the build was successful.
  6. If the executable already exists a question box will appear and ask if previous executable should be overwritten choose Yes.

Then I ran the build distribution.  After a few successful tests, I concluded that one of these steps was the culprit.  I am not sure which, but I suspect the "Ensure Run-time support" or "Application Title" are to blame.

Thank you for you help in this.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(17,493 Views)