LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cvi use of visa library creating a server/instrument

I was looking for an example of using the visa library in CVI, to create a TCP server within a thread to allow the thread to look like an instrument to another application already running on the system communicating with instruments connected to the system. This other application is a LabView interface that connects with instruments by the use of 'visa' connections, and we have another application being developed on the same system in CVI that we would like to connect to the LabView application using that 'visa' connectivity. The thought is that the LabView app recognize the CVI app as an instrument and connect to it on the fly.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,532 Views)

Hi ciao_bullet,

There are several good built-in examples in CVI that you might find helpful, you can access by going to "Find Examples" at the CVI welcoming page or Help>>Find Examples.

Then, look for Communicating with External Applications>>General or you can go to "Search" tab and enter this keyboard "TCP" and the example finder will return you the examples.

Carmen C.

Message 2 of 4
(3,516 Views)

Thanks Carmen, in looking over an example in regards to a TCP server, I found there is a support library, TCP Support, that I have not looked at. The only question I have yet is this, if I was to use this Register TCP Server call, would that satisfy the approach I'm looking for in forcing my application to look like an instrument on the system connections?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,513 Views)

Carmen, I responded before thoroughly looking at the TCP Support Library. In looking over the interfaces, it seems that this library expects the use of callback functions. I would like to have my application execute without any UI and accepting all commands/responses over the instrument connection. I have create an interface to an existing LabView application that expects to connect to instruments and communicate to those instruments pragmatically.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,509 Views)