From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cvi 2013 driver install error with visual studio 2012

My system has Visual Studio 2012 installed and no other versions of visual Studio.

CVI 2013 installed fine. But when I go to install the August 2013 driver disk I have problems.

1. It starts the install then complains about an Unknow Error with no details. twice
  2. if I say OK, then I can see a install box saying "Currently executing National Instrument help install into Visual Studio 2010" and the progress bar continuously fills then empties until I cancel.

SInce I don't have VS2010, why it is trying to install VS2010 help files. I tried with just all the default items selected and installing the modular instruments, but in both cases I get the same issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,473 Views)

When you run the installer, it should bring you to a screen that says "Select the features to install".  You will want to expand everything and make sure any .NET 4.0 Language support is not not selected to install.  The installer may also list features which were installed by other installers which can't be edited in the driver installer window.  These are indicated by a green checkmark and when selected generate the message "This feature will not be installed."  Remove any reference of .NET 4.0 you can from the installer.

If you are still seeing the error after removing .NET 4.0 support in the installer, you may also need to remove it from the other installers it is listed under in the CVI driver installer.  To do this, navigate to the "uninstall a program" utility in your Control Panel.  Then, find and double-click the listing for "National Instruments Software".  This will bring up a window with all of the NI software installed on your computer.  You will want to track down the drivers that had the .NET 4.0 support included in your CVI driver installer.  When you find them in the list, you will want to click them and then select "modify".  This will bring you to the select features screen of that installer, so you can remove the support for .NET 4.0.  That should prevent the installer from trying to install it and incurring any errors.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,357 Views)

I checked and none of the .NET 4.0 stuff was installed nor selected in the driver setup nor in the control panel "National Instruments Software". I finally just played around with installing different things (and findings ones that did not give errors) and was able to install the drivers that I wanted. I did not record the exact recipe because I did not find a good way to document what one selects without expanding each and every option and taking a whole bunch of screen shots everytime.  So unfortunately, this will not be too much help for the next person that has to go through this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,309 Views)

Do you have Microsoft SQL Server Installed on your computer?

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,297 Views)

No, I don't have MS SQL server.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,292 Views)

Thank you.  I am going to file this as a potential bug, could you please provide your operating system?

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,288 Views)

Windows 7 SP1, 64bit.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,279 Views)