cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

correct nomenclature of incomplete gamma functions

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI,

in my understanding (and backed by Wikipedia and Wolfram Smiley Wink ) the documentation of the incomplete gamma functions in CVI is wrong:

the incomplete gamma function and the complementary incomplete gamma functions must not include the factor

1/Γ(x);

at present the help file describes the regularized (normalized) incomplete gamma functions...

... I am going to find out what the function actually is calculating...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,501 Views)

It turns out that GammaC actually is calculating the regularized incomplete Gamma function - hence while the formula in the documentation correctly describes the function, the function name and the textual description are wrong - the incomplete Gamma function and the regularized incomplete Gamma functions are two different things!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,494 Views)

Since this comment passed unheeded for more than a year I doubt that the documentation will be corrected soon.Smiley Frustrated

Anyway, for anyone using the Advanced Analysis Library please note that the same is true for the Beta function Beta (x, y, &z), which actually calculates the regularized incomplete beta function. It's not a big deal as it can be corrected using Beta ( x, y, &z ) * Beta ( x, y, NULL ) instead, but still, I would consider the help as in need of improvement...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You can track this with Bug ID 362123. All three functions are reported under the same ID. I did a quick look through the other functions in the library and did not see any others with the same problem. Let me know if I need to add any other functions to this bug report.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,408 Views)

What is the official status about this incorrect documentation (or at least denomination of these functions)?

We are approaching the 4 year mark and this has been left untouched.

EDIT: I am actually referring to the LabVIEW counterpart of these functions, so I will move this to the proper forum...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,243 Views)