LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I distribute an .exe file built with cvi to our customers ? It will not depend on NI HW libraries.

Hi Can I distribute an application built with cvi to our customers. If not what are the Lab Windows license requirements ?

thanks,
art m.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,428 Views)
If your application needs only CVI and nothing else you can distribute it to yor customer without problems.

Some licence is required in case you are integrating other software in your app like for example ComponenWorks objects or some libraries subject to restrictions.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,428 Views)
thanks Roberto,
art

From customer support I was directed to look at:
URL location
-------------------------------------------
http://www.ni.com/legal/license/

URL section of interest below
-------------------------------------------

12. Application Deployment. You may distribute or otherwise make available Authorized Applications (including applicable runtime engines for the SOFTWARE and applicable driver interface SOFTWARE that you may include as part of or together with your Authorized Applications) provided you comply with each of the requirements set forth in sub-sections (A) and (B) below:

A. Distribution Requirements.

1. You include the following copyright notice "Copyright �[yr] National Instruments Corporation. All Rights Reserved" in the Authorized Application's About Box and in the applicable written documentation distributed with each copy of the Authorized Application (you may include your own copyright notice with the foregoing notice);

2. You do not use NI's name, logo, or trademarks to market your Authorized Application without NI's express prior written permission;

3. You agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend NI from and against any claims or lawsuits, including attorneys' fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of your application, AND EVEN IF DUE IN PART TO NI'S CONCURRENT NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER FAULT OR STRICT LIABILITY WITHOUT REGARD TO FAULT; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT YOUR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION OF INDEMNIFICATION SHALL NOT EXTEND TO THE PERCENTAGE OF THE CLAIMANT'S DAMAGES OR INJURIES OR THE SETTLEMENT AMOUNT ATTRIBUTABLE TO NI'S NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER FAULT OR TO STRICT LIABILITY IMPOSED UPON NI AS A MATTER OF LAW; and

4. You conform to the requirements described in the SDKLIC.TXT or the other applicable files if you are using Microsoft SDK files or other third party files.

B. Fees. Generally, you may distribute or otherwise make available Authorized Applications without paying additional fees to NI. If, however, the Authorized Application was created utilizing any of the following SOFTWARE: LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW Remote Panels, LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module, National Instruments SQL Toolkit, National Instruments Sound and Vibration Toolset, National Instruments Order Analysis Toolset, LabVIEW PDA Builder, National Instruments IMAQ Vision, National Instruments Switch Executive, NI IMAQ for IEEE 1394 Cameras, National Instruments TestStand, National Instruments Test Executive, National Instruments Lookout, NI-Device, DASYLab, DIAdem, or such other SOFTWARE as NI may from time to time designate, then you must (before distributing or otherwise making available the Authorized Application and applicable runtime engines for the SOFTWARE) either: (i) verify that the recipient has a valid license of such SOFTWARE for each computer on which the Authorized Application will be used or (ii) obtain written distribution authorization from NI and (if required by NI) pay to NI a per copy distribution/development fee for each Authorized Application distributed. Further, if the Authorized Application utilizes, calls, or otherwise accesses any driver interface SOFTWARE, then you must (before distributing the Authorized Application and applicable driver interface SOFTWARE) either: (i) verify that the recipient has a valid license of such driver interface SOFTWARE for each computer on which the Authorized Application will be used or (ii) obtain written distribution authorization from NI and (if required by NI) pay to NI a per copy distribution/development fee for each Authorized Application distributed. Contact NI or, if applicable, the NI subsidiary serving your country for the amount of the applicable per copy distribution/development fee.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,428 Views)
One thing to note is that your customer must have the CVI Runtime Engine installed on their computer. You can do this by either creating an installer from CVI or by downloading the Runtime Engine (for free) from ni.com. This should take you to a search with links to all of the runtime engine versions.

http://search.ni.com/query.html?col=alldocs&qp=+%2BProductLine%3A1627+%2BDownloadType%3A%22LabWindows%2FCVI+Run-time+Engine%22+%2Bcontentformat%3Asoftwarelib&layout=SoftLib

Regards,
Ryan K.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,428 Views)