From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 compatibility

Now that Windows 8 has reached RTM, I feel I can bring up this topic 🙂

We have a broad user base for some of our software, and inevitably in the next few months we'll have someone who needs to use it on Windows 8.  My searches on this topic have come up surprisingly empty. My cursory tests seem to indicate that our software works on a Windows 8 target.

However, I would ask NI for some indication of known compatibility with the past few versions of CVI (and v.Next) for these cases:

• Windows 8 as deployment target with no device drivers/hardware
  • Windows 8 as deployment target with device drivers/hardware
  • Windows 8 as development platform

And have any users seen issues?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,272 Views)

Hi Ian,

So far we have not found any issues with CVI 2012 in Windows 8. We are still completing our testing with the RTM version of Windows 8. However, we did do extensive testing with prerelease versions of Windows 8 and all issues were resolved in the RTM version. We will be completing our Windows 8 RTM testing shortly, but I do not expect us to find any issues. If we do, you can be sure that we will be documenting those issues. In addition, I have a made a note to come back and post any issue in this forum thread for your convenience.

Please note, that CVI will not integrate into Windows 8 Metro. Right now, we are unsure how CVI and National Instruments software in general will utilize Windows 8 Metro in future releases.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,262 Views)

Thanks, D.

I can see how the "UI formerly known as Metro" would need some time to assess. 

Any word on (or known issues) at this point about deploying to Win 8 Desktop target with builds created with previous versions of CVI?

Looking here: http://www.ni.com/lwcvi/product-lifecycle/ I'll just ask for 2009 and later. 🙂

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,249 Views)

Our testing is complete and we did not discover any CVI compatibility issues with Windows 8. If you do identify any compatibility issues with Windows 8, please let us know right away so that we can address them.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,133 Views)

Hello,

If I run the application in  CVI 2005 in windows 7 I wont get any memory issues in Resource monitor but if I run the same application in CVI 2010 in windows 8, memory issue occurs and the application hangs . 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,747 Views)