From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - annoying can't create temporary file popup

Hallo,

sorry for my weird question - but after upgrading to Windows 7 (new computer) I'm still bothered by this error message (see picture) - even though I have (checked several times) the rights on the folder set correctly (ownership by my account, full access). Have anyone some hints? This popup is very annoying. Thank you,

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,967 Views)

Hi George,

Can you explain how to you encounter this problem? Is it happening just when you open CVI?

Best regards,

Ion R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(7,940 Views)

Hallo, Ion,

This popup comes up (seems to me) unpredictably (but relatively often : 2 - 5 times per minute) after I open the workspace and also during my work on development the software, including when the application is debugged.

Smiley Happy

I make some investigation - the problem probably lays on the UAC basis; using samples form NI (on path User\Public\Documents\National ....) is without this annyance.

I try to clean-up whole project sandbox and update source codes from svn server again - and the problem is gone!

I consider it as resolved....

Thanks for your concern.

George

Message 3 of 15
(7,932 Views)

Hi, all,

the problem is back again Smiley Sad ...

Another details: CVI displays the weird popup - and save in the pointed (!) directory it's temporary file ini$$...CVI (two samples see in attachement).

The question is - which internal process of CVI environment need to save this file? And is there possibility to change this behaviour?

Thanks,

George

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,924 Views)

Are you sure you are running under a user that has admin rights?

Best regards,

Ion R.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(7,918 Views)

Hi,

I'm member of administrators group (checked), LW CVI is running under the administrator rights (checked) - thus I suppose I have administrator rights.

The ownership of sandbox directory tree is same, as in case of running the NI sample workspace.

Really I have no idea what to check and/or correct.

Cheers,

George

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,920 Views)

Hi, I'm not sure but I believe this is caused by the group policy not allowing CVI to write the file, you need to open the gpedit.msc and edit I think the "user rights assignment" Sorry I can't do better but it is a windows 7 issue not a CVI issue. Admin doesn't mean what it used to under previous editions of windows. so far if you want to do anything out of the ordinary W7 is being a bit of a headache. If you dig around on the net I've found a good bit of stuff but you know.....cheers, hope this helps a little.

C.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(7,900 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately I have no success with beating this - even when building an application from scratch (also in different location). To be honest, I'm not expert on W7, english is not my mother tongue and the documentation is due the translation of terminology hard to understand. The hint to edit "user rights assignment" does not give me any guidance how to check/edit, because the I don't know what is the root process, which need to write the temporary file (any other files are successfully written).

But I can't agree that this is not a problem CVI, because popup window (having the meaning to inform user of some internal IDE problem) blocks the run of developed application.

Cheers,

George

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(7,855 Views)

@DocRabbit wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately I have no success with beating this - even when building an application from scratch (also in different location). To be honest, I'm not expert on W7, english is not my mother tongue and the documentation is due the translation of terminology hard to understand. The hint to edit "user rights assignment" does not give me any guidance how to check/edit, because the I don't know what is the root process, which need to write the temporary file (any other files are successfully written).

But I can't agree that this is not a problem CVI, because popup window (having the meaning to inform user of some internal IDE problem) blocks the run of developed application.

Cheers,

George

I forgot to add this: in the referenced directory (see attachement above - "...\cvibuild.Terno") CVI IDE stores other files - like build.ini, dependencies.bri - and also creates additional subdirectories debug, release. I think that the error message displays invalid information ... and I'm digging in the wrong grave ...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(7,847 Views)

Hello,

I've got the same problem.

I've found a solution : in "options/environment" dialog box, uncheck "enable auto backup".

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(7,717 Views)