LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't an IVI Software Module get registered with CVI under MAX?

I read that it is not possible to use the Create Distribution wizard to have an IVI driver register itself with MAX. Instead the options appears to be a) contact NI with my files and they will create an install APP which will do this or b) hack the Config store myself using the IVI API.

Isn't there another way for me to a) generatte my IVI driver then b) have it installed locally for 200% testing purposes.

I would like to develop the driver using CVI, then test the IVI using LabView, but LV requires the software module to be installed 1st - catch 22.

I may want to refine the interface or something before going to NI to have the driver blessed and released.

rjmiller
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,613 Views)
We had to do this manually. I hope this helps.

As long as the driver is IVI-C, can get it installed this way:

- Edit C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\niivi\ivi.ini with WordPad.
- Add this info for the software module:

[Driver->DevHp6610xa]
ModulePath= "c:\vxipnp\winnt\DevHp6610xa\DevHp6610xa.dll"
Interface= GPIB
IsSimulationDriver= False
Description= "Development driver for HP6610xa"
Prefix= "hp6610xa"
Class= "IviDCPwr"

- Save the file ivi.ini.
- Run MAX.

MAX will read this info from "ivi.ini" and update the configuration store (C:\Program Files\IVI\Data\IviConfigurationStore.xml).

Does not work for IVI-COM. When using the VIVID tool on a trial license, VIVID created a Visual Studio project for the driver. When I "built" that project the driver also got
registered as a COM object and installed into the configuration store. The suite of VIVID tools also includes some type of an application installer (have not used that).

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,612 Views)