From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does CVI2013 build two executables?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI,

many things have changed with the move to the clang compiler, and accordingly some questions arise...

For example, I realized that building a debug executable creates two (identical) executables, one located in my project folder, and one in the cvibuild.project/debug folder... Why?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,183 Views)

CVI has been doing that for a long time.  I've always assumed that it builds the copy in the Debug folder and when done copies it to the root project directory to run it.  Maybe NI can comment.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,168 Views)

@tstanley wrote:

CVI has been doing that for a long time. 

Ah, making a fool of myself... Smiley Embarassed But thank you for pointing it out!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,163 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Wolfgang

Yes, tstanley is correct. I believe the change happened in version 2010, when the use of build configurations became widespread. It was important to place all the build output files, including the .exe, inside the configuration folder, so that they wouldn't blap each other. At the same time, CVI needed to continue honoring the Target Settings>>Application file setting, and so it copies the .exe to the location specified in the target settings after building it in configuration folder

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,158 Views)