From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get a CVI J-I-T debugger everytime I open Snagit?

Have CVI 2012 running on a new Windows XP machine.  Just loaded Snagit.  Everytime I try to run Snagit a CVI J-I-T debugger opens up and when I try to kill the debugger I kill Snagit.  Not good.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,200 Views)

Hello ccreiss,

Normally, the operating system launches the CVI JIT debugger when a program crashes or generates an exception. I don't know why Snagit trips up the mechanism.

You can try to disable the CVI JIT debugger by renaming the "Debugger" key under this entry in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

This is for a 64-bit version of Windows. I don't have a 32-bit version to try this on, but I believe the registry key would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

For example, you can rename it to "DebuggerHide":

jit.png

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,188 Views)

I tried to paste a Snagit screen shot and also attach a word .docx file.  Both failed.  Any suggestions?  What I was trying to show was that my C:\ ... has no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.  I am assuming that's what Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\... means. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,179 Views)

No, you don't change the setting on disk, you have to change the entry in the Windows registry:

Start menu >> All programs >> Accessories >> Run

Then type: regedit.exe

If you want to paste an image into a message, click the "tree" button in the toolbar of the rich text control. It's the green button to the left of the three text alignment buttons. There's also a button to "paste from Word" to the left of the smiley face button for emoticons.

screenshot.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,174 Views)

130822.CurrentVersionJ-I-T.png

Where I am so far.  The machine is a Windows XP.  I am pretty sure it is a 32bit.  No sign of AeDebug

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,163 Views)

Expand the entry for "CurrentVersion" on the left. AeDebug should be one of its children.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,149 Views)

Got to AeDubug.  Selected Debugger.   Right clicked to rename.  Renamed it DebuggerHide.  Hit enter.  Got the following error message "The Registry Editor cannot rename Debugger.  Error while renaming value." 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,135 Views)

Hm. I'm not sure why it won't let you change the name. Can you try again with administrator privileges?

Start menu >> All programs >> Accessories

Right-click on the menu item "Command Prompt", select "Run as administrator", and click on "Yes".

In the command prompt type: regedit.exe

You might not be able to run regedit.exe with administrator privileges. If that's the case, you have to ask your IT department to disable the CVI JIT debugger for you.

Message 8 of 9
(4,133 Views)

Peter

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you. 

It took IT a couple of trys to delete Snagit.  I reinstalled Snagit through Symantec and the problem was still there. 

I went back to IT and It took them a couple of trys to rename Debugger but they did it and the problem is gone. 

Tell me about Kudos.  How do I bestow them? 

Charlie

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,118 Views)