LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the GPIB driver for a Keithley 181 nanovoltmeter

I am trying to get our Keithley 181 nanovoltmeter to interface with a computer, using LabWindows/CVI. Thus far, it works exactly 1/2 the time. Using the drivers for the instrument (from the NI website), when I try to initialize the instrument (using the kei181_init function) it gets hung up while the driver is attempting to execute the ibclr function. (within the driver code) The error code returned is EBUS(14), and the only one of the possible causes that makes sense is that the instrument is asserting a handshaking line, rather than accepting the command byte as it's supposed to.

If I stop the program, and restart it without clearing the voltmeter from the bus (i.e. it stays in "remote" mode), the pro
gram runs fine, and at the end disconnects from the bus line, as it is supposed to. Then, when I run it again, it hangs up in the same place. I've attached my code, and the driver files are on the NI website.

I'm running LabWindows V. 6.0 on a Windows 2000 system, using an NI PCI GPIB card.
thank you,

John Nordling
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,179 Views)
Hi,

Here are some suggestion for the EBUS (14) Error.

If the driver and interface are too fast for the intrument you can increase the T1 handshake timing for the interface in the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). By default T1 is set to 500ns. You can increase it to 2us. Right-click on the interface and go to the Advanced tab. use the "Bus Timing" drop list to change the value. T1 is the DIO lines settling time used by the interface when transmitting commands.

This setting can also be configured using ibconfig (with a board descriptor) and the attribute value IbcTIMING (0x0011).

I looked through th
e instrument driver and the code is very simple. You could try diferent things, for example, renoving the ibclr call and see how that affects the operation of the instrument.

Use the interactive control to experiment different functions. Note: with the interactive control you cannot use OpenDev, Use ibdev.

DiegoF
National instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,179 Views)