From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected change to software - CVI 2103 use of an *.ico has now become case selective

Selection of an icon file that ends *.ICO is not allowed the file must be lower case *.ico. On projects migrated from previous versions where upper case was allowed, this can cause compile errors without a very good error definition.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,955 Views)

Hey blakney,

Thanks for the report. I've confirmed that this is indeed the case, and have filed an internal report for our developers to look into this further. I don't have a workaround for the issue at this time, but I will post back if we do find anything. In the meantime, my best suggestion is to use a script to rename all icon files to a lowercase .ico. Let us know if you need any more assistance with it!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,940 Views)

Are you sure that this is a CVI issue? I had an impression that when moving from WinXP to Win7 al file-related operations have become case sensitive and I wonder if this can be a OS issue instead.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,911 Views)

Roberto,

I had tested this on my Win 7 machine with both CVI 2010 and 2013. In 2010, .ico or .ICO were allowed. In 2013, only .ico is allowed. This could be as simple as the filter in the file selection box being overzealous, actually. In any case, I've filed the report so our developers can look into it. Was there another instance in which the XP to 7 migration could cause case sensitivity that you were thinking of? I could definitely test it if we have a specific concern in mind.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,890 Views)

Daniel,

unfortunately I cannot give you a precise scenario to test.

I had some problems accessing disk resources with FileSelectPopup and similar functions in an application of mine and I resolved them by matching capitalization between disk file or folder name and the commands. This was more or less two years ago and starting from that moment I double check file and folder names as a rule.

I have made some tests now and it seems that there is no problem in using different cases for file/folder names, so it may be that I had a different kind of problems at that time. Good for me but bad for you maybe, as you probably will remain with this undocumented warning in mind Smiley Wink

Tested with CVI 2009SP1 and 2012SP1 on Win7 Pro SP1 64bit.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,873 Views)