LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to SAVEAS project to new name

Solved!
Go to solution

I just yesterday downloaded and installed the eval copy of LW/CVI to try it out with an old program I wrote last year and am having a problem saving my old LW project to a new name. That is the SAVEAS isn't working, so I have to save over the previous version. I get the error message that LW?CVI is no longer working, has crashed. The options provided are either to 1) debug or 2) close LW. The debug option just spins the wheel, not getting anywhere. So I have to close LW and start anew.

Anyone else have this annoying problem? It sounds like a bug to me.

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(6,060 Views)

Hello John,

What was the version of CVI the program was originally written and which version are you using now?

Could you post your project so we can have a look. You can remvoe the contents of the source files since the problem doesn't seem related to the contents of the files.

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(6,046 Views)

Apparently I was using CVI 2010 bit it's a bit "Fuzzy" now Smiley Happy. Attached is the project file in txt mode. Perhaps there is some converter to convert files and projects to the newer version but I haven't looked for it. I am trying the latest version, version CVI 2013 with my old code.

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(6,020 Views)

I just noted inside your project that you are using Document and Settings folder. This folder is somehow protected on modern systems (Vista dn later) where the default path has changed to c:\users folder, so I suggest you to move the project to a different folder and try using the save as function and see what happens.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,997 Views)

Well, that didn't seem to work at all Roberto. I moved my old project to a new folder on my C drive and started up LW/CVI but can do almost nothing with LW now:

1. cannot open my old project
  2. cannot create a new project
  3. cannot open my old C file

So maybe I need to start over, uninstalling LW and reinstalling. Hopefully will be able to get a new copy running properly.

But it just now occurred to me that possibly the problem is with the Eval copy that I am trying out, and possibly there's something wrong with running an Eval version. But like I say, I'll uninstall LW, reinstall it and try it again.

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(5,985 Views)

No joy on LW/CVI. I uninstalled all my NI stuff and reinstalled the eval version but now cannot even browse to open a file. LW crashes instantly, so I will reluctantly give up on it. Very disappointed and sad since I had used the earlier versions at LLNL for various projects and was very very happy with it. Smiley Sad

Also CVI suggests debug mode but that just causes my PC to hang and I have to go to Task Manager to shut it down. Smiley Sad

John

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(5,979 Views)

Hello John,

So as I understand your problem is not only related to save as action but CVI is unstable in general.

I was able to open and save as the project file you sent.

The eval version should behave the same as the full version, the difference is it expires after a period of time. Also there should be no problem in opening a project created with an older version with a newer version or visa-versa.

Can you please say what OS are using?

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(5,964 Views)

Hi Constantin:

I'm using Win7. See attached doc.

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(5,957 Views)

Hello John,

Do you still have this problem?

You said in an earlier post you can't even create a new project.

Does CVI crash whenever it tries to open a file dialog or at other ocations also?

Can you provide a LabWindows/CVI log for this behavior? Please follow the steps under the Environment section of this article: https://decibel.ni.com/content/people/nickb/blog/2010/08/02/generating-debug-logs-for-labwindowscvi-...

When the crash happens you can name the file something obvious and upload it to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming

Let me know when you upload the file so I can have a look over it

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(5,916 Views)

Good idea Constantin but no log file was produced. I followed the steps as shown in the decibel page.

Yes, I still have the problem but now I see that I can make a new project but cannot open files to add to it and cannot save the new project to a new name.

I just now tried to make a new project from Template and CVI seems to be hung. File attached.

I cannot Browse to find a file - causes a crash.

However, I can open my existing project, modify the C code and save it but cannot save the project to a new name. So at least I can work with my old project.

John

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(5,896 Views)