LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB with LabWindows... Help needed?

Hi!!
I've developed a control software for a climate-logger. I've build eveything with RS232 but the company, which will sell this product, asked if it is possible to redesign the software and hardware to usb technology. Are there any libraries to download which I can use in LabWindows. I don't have experience in using dll, activex or something like that so please if you could help me, give me an answer imaging, if I would be a stupid child.
By the way, I use the polling method for getting data from the RS232 so interrupts or callbacks are not really necessary for it.
Thanks, Tom
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,912 Views)
USB isn't like RS-232 - you don't access it explicitly from application programs.

Each USB device must have a device driver, and how an application uses that driver depends on what sort of driver it is. Some drivers have application access in the form of DLLs or ActiveX components. Others emulate 'standard' drivers - for example, devices like yours often have 'virtual comm port' drivers, so that the application software is virtually the same whether you are accessing an RS-232 device or the USB variant.

The driver is intimately associated with the USB hardware in the device. Some USB chipsets are supplied with a range of drivers (and application interfaces, where required) that can be used immediately. Other chipsets require you to write your own device driver, and
the amount of support you get to do this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

So interfacing a USB device can be a very simple or a very complex process!

For pre-existing RS-232 devices, there are a number of nice solutions for adding USB access. For a very simple solution, I would personally recommend that you take a look at the FTDI chips (www.ftdichip.com) - but of course you would have to assess whether that chipset met your requirements. And the hardware may be chosen by someone else anyway.

--
Martin
--
Martin
Certified CVI Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,912 Views)
You can probably use USB to RS232 converter.

vishi

-- wrote:
> Hi!!
> I've developed a control software for a climate-logger. I've build
> eveything with RS232 but the company, which will sell this product,
> asked if it is possible to redesign the software and hardware to usb
> technology. Are there any libraries to download which I can use in
> LabWindows. I don't have experience in using dll, activex or something
> like that so please if you could help me, give me an answer imaging,
> if I would be a stupid child.
> By the way, I use the polling method for getting data from the RS232
> so interrupts or callbacks are not really necessary for it.
> Thanks, Tom
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,912 Views)