LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UIR to XAML Conversion

Solved!
Go to solution

I am converting a rather large CVI program to run under Visual Studio. NI's conversion wizard worked and after some effort the project runs as it did before. Now I want to take advantage of WPF and do all the UI editing in VS as well. I'm wondering if anyone knows of or has created a way to convert the CVI UIR files into XAML. If so it would save me a bunch of time since my UI is rather complex.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,792 Views)

Hi aghacker,

There is no way I can find to specifically convert a uir file to XAML. The uir file really can't be used outside LabWindows/CVI environment, so your best bet will probably be creating a new UI in VS. You can save a UIR file in text format:

Options»Save in Text Format

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051M-01/cvi/usermanual/uioptionssaveintextformat/

This will give a list of the components on the UI in a readable text format, which may give you a better place to start from.

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,732 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aghacker

I did as you suggested and converted the UIR file to a TUI file. Then I wrote a CVI program that uses the INI library and the CVIXML library to do some conversion to XAML (VS 2012). It's by no means fully implemented. I only used the controls and attributes that I needed. I did try to make it somewhat extensible so hopefully others can add on as needed. I implemented, at least on a basic level, the control types shown below. I tested it on the UI's I needed and it works fine, but I'm sure there are still bugs. Hopefully the project will help someone else too.

CTRL_TABLE_LS
CTRL_SQUARE_COMMAND_BUTTON_LS
CTRL_NUMERIC_LS
CTRL_TEXT_BOX_LS
CTRL_STRING_LS
CTRL_TEXT_MSG
CTRL_MENU_RING_LS
CTRL_PICTURE_RING_LS
CTRL_SQUARE_LED_LS
CTRL_SMOOTH_VERTICAL_BOX_LS
CTRL_SMOOTH_HORIZONTAL_BOX_LS
CTRL_ROUND_LED_LS