LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Tab Page into Panel

Hey all,

I've been trying to make a cleaner GUI by changing all the panels into tabs, but would like to give the user the option to change the tab page back into a panel.  The TurnPanelIntoTab function has been very helpful in this regard.  Is it possible to easily reverse this function so that the tab will "pop out" and turn back into a panel?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,564 Views)

What's that TurnPanelIntoTab function? I can't find it in my CVI2013SP1 install. Are you referring to InsertPanelAsTabPage? If so, then simply displaying individual panels (which need to be already loaded in memory when you call that function) should be enough.

If you can give some details more on what you are trying to do we can try to help you better.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Ah yeah, sorry, I meant InsertPanelAsTabPage.

I have some panels that are grouped together into tabs by the InsertPanelAsTabPage function.  I'd like to put a docking / undocking button on each panel to be able to individually remove the tab from the tab list and turn it back into its own free floating panel in a seperate window.

It'd be like using Google Chrome or Firefox where you can pull a tab off the tab list on top to create a new window.  I don't need drag and drop capabilities; a button would be fine.  I need the information in the panels to be the same when going from tab to panel and panel to tab.  The panels will have graphs over time (so a history of data), timers, user inputs, real time updates, etc..

I implemented a kinda workaround solution.  I used DuplicatePanel on a tabbed page and displayed the newly duplicated panel with DisplayPanel while using DeleteTabPage to remove the tab from the tab list.

Are you saying I don't need to use DuplicatePanel because DisplayPanel will work on a tabbed page? Instead of using DeleteTabPage I'd instead make the tab hidden when the person presses "Undock"?  I'd also like to call InsertPanelAsTabPage function again when the person presses the "Dock" button.

Anyways, thanks for the help!  I've already implemented my workaround and it seems to be doing everything I wanted.  I don't have access to my work computer until Monday so I'll try whatever you suggest then.

Kudos for giving me things to try.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,531 Views)

You've already find the right way to do what you want: as far as I know there is no way to release a tab page and display it as a separate panel other then duplicating it in a new panel.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,503 Views)